Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 8th April 2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default severne gator 70 2011

use 7.0 gator 2011 with severne blue 4.60 and prolimit 45 extention. i give 15cm extention but ethe battens do not freely move around the mast, it feels that it requires more extention. the luff is 465 so eveyrthing i use is in accordnace with the specs.. why do i have the problem? any experts
Old 8th April 2012, 09:32 PM   #2
Unregistered

i am NO expert
you made a small typo - the luff is 475 :-)
and yes, 15 cm extension is to specs
have you tried .5 cm more ??
battens should not be more than half covering the mast
more outhaul ?? not too much though ..
time to experiment ,,,
Old 9th April 2012, 04:47 AM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

I'd suggest trying a shorter extension.
It is normally not a good idea to put more that about 20 cm of extension up inside the foot of a
WS mast.
The foot is the stiffest part of the mast, and while it's made to bend/curve to some degree, putting
a tight fitting extension 30 cm up inside it prevents the entire bottom 30 cm of the mast from bending
at all.
Get a 25 cm extension (or even a 15 cm if you can find one).
It may help with lower batten/cam rotation.
Also, as suggested, if the luff is 475 cm do not be afraild to set your
mast base at 15 cm or even 20 cm and downhaul more.
As suggested, you need to bend the mast so that all the battens "pull back'
at the front to at least the midline of the mast (fore and aft here).
Better rotation if you downhaul a bit more and let the mast bend pull the
battens back until the front of the batten just "kisses" the back of the mast.
Try to "bend the mast" totally with downhaul to get the correct shape in your
Gator. Only outhaul a little bit to stabilize the clew/foot/leech.
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Unregistered

roger brings an interesting point

does a shorter extension make difference ??

i have written a sailmaker on his forum and he informed me that ALL their testing was performed using 45 cm mast extensions.

if the sailmaker and their race team are using 45 cm extensions, why would the mere mortals and average joes do anything differently ??
Old 3rd April 2013, 04:44 PM   #5
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Hi,

Just got the chance to rigg a 2012 Gator 7.0 m2 sail. Luff = 463 cm; boom = 190 cm. When rigged on a Severne Enigma 460 cm SDM mast + 1 cm extension, it's a perfect low wind trim : nice belly below the boom, flat profile above the boom. With a +2 cm extension, it's a high wind trim with a flatter profile below the boom. Battens ends just above and below the boom's head cutout are rotating very easily and freely around the mast when the boom is set at 190 cm extension.

When viewed from the downhaul triple pulley, this is how the 3 bottom battens (#4, #5 and #6 from top to bottom) should look like with their end just kissing the mast from the side : https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...11465425_n.jpg

When viewed from the outhaul's end, this is how the sail's belly and the 3 bottom batten's end (#4, #5 and #6) should look like near the mast panel : https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...43724738_n.jpg

This is how the loose leech and flat bodied top half of the sail (batten #1, #2 and #3) should look like : https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...74123066_n.jpg

So, it sounds like you do not apply enough downhaul tension to your sail, even if your are spot on with the specs. I would suggest you try to downhaul a bit more your 2011 Gator 7.0 sail (Luff = 475 cm) : 460 cm mast + 17 cm extension. The batten just above the boom's head cutout should be freely moving just by hand. If you have to force more to rotate the batten's end by hand, try to downhaul more by adding +1 or +2 cm mast extension. However, make sure that batten above the boom still retains some curvy profile in the first third close to the mast panel. If that batten is straight flat close to the mast panel, either you have too much downhaul, too much outhaul, or both.

Cheers !

JM

Last edited by Jean-Marc; 3rd April 2013 at 09:04 PM. Reason: adding link to pix of correct trimmed sail
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote