Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 18th March 2012, 01:03 AM   #21
Sailboarder

Thanks again,

I also wonder about planing performance. Once planning is clearly established, maybe at 12 kts, is there a big speed difference between FW and Phantom?
Sailboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 06:02 PM   #22
Jean-Marc
TEAM

I can't comment because I don't have a FW myself and I've not ridden yet the Phantom in the upper wind range at full planing speed.

When doing drag racing between a slalom and a 2010 Phantom 380 Race carbon, however, I'm always faster on my HS105 than my pal on his Phantom + 9.5/7.8 m2 sail combo when we are fully lit (I'm overpowered at about 12 knots constant wind with my 11 m2 sail or at about 15/16 knots with my 8.2 sail). Keep in mind that I'm 10 kg lighter than my pal, that I always ride larger sails than most anybody else on my home spot and that I have a 10 years training experience with my board and sail quiver combo while my pal has only a 2 years training experience with his board + sail quiver combo. Also keep in mind that the Phantom 380 is a true raceboard, so it does take quite a lot of TOW to train and to acquire higher and highers skills with such a board, especially in the upper wind range. So, my home spot comparison should be taken with a large grain of salt to be fair and honest and may be Rémi can beat me with his superior raceboard skills.

I'll leave that to other experienced Phantom 380 + FW riders to tell us what their experience has been so far.

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 05:13 PM   #23
Alena

Hello Jean-Marc
I did what you did and to cover the no wind season which is very long in Boston, bought a used Serenity which is just like new and beautiful. I do have a 10 meter sail if I need it. Liked your pictures a lot.

The questions is I found 2 holes on the back part of the stern towards the end ( over the word "...windsurfing"), they look like they were drilled into the board. The previous owner does not know what the heck they are for?
They pobably cause no harm but I worry they could leak. Any idea why they are there?
Thanks
Alena
Alena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 05:08 PM   #24
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Alena,

Sorry for my late reply. I'm sure you will rock in Boston with your combo Serenity + 10 m2 sail.

As for the 2 holes above the Serenity *windsurfing* logo on *top* of the stern's deck, there are indeed 2 holes (at 55 cm and at 65.5 cm from the stern of my Serenity mk I wood) with plugs to let you screw in 2 screws and washers to attach the Starboard rolling trolley called the "Clipper Wheels" (http://2007.star-board.com/viewpage.php?page_id=11). These 2 holes are perfectly normal and watertight, no worries.

Cheers & enjoy your new ultralight wind weapon !

JM

PS : for the Clipper Wheel description, please see : http://2006.star-board.com/products/accessories.asp

Last edited by Jean-Marc; 9th May 2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: additional info & source
Old 3rd May 2012, 08:55 PM   #25
Gyurmo
Dream Team Member

hi pedro,

formula is very bad in reaching, so ultraSonic is much bigger fun for freeride. similar planningability and US much more comfortable. as roger said, a good freerace sail gives you better low end power than a top race sail.

so the best combo for your weight what i would prefer for you to catch the best lowend of your gear is ultraSonic/Severne Overdrive 9,5.

cheers,
gyurmo
Gyurmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012, 01:03 AM   #26
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Alena,
At your weight, I would suggest that you can go just as fast (if not faster) on a 7.5-8.5m2 rig which will be sooooooo much easier for you to handle vs the 10.0 m2.
I did alot of "serenity sailing" a few years ago and found that smaller rigs get you going and keep you
going really well.
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012, 07:30 PM   #27
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Alena,

I also agree with Roger. For your 162 cm x 54 kg, a full-on 10 m2 racing sail will be quite heavy to handle. Such a big sail will be a real nightmare upon uphauling, especially when the wide luff is full of water.

Now, choosing a big sail depends on what wind range and what gear to use :

1) to match your Serenity quite nicely, I would suggest you to consider the Severne Raceboard 8.5 m2 sail. This sail is ultra-light, has only 3 cambers in a narrow luff pocket, rigs on a 490 cm mast. The big advantage is that you can fine tune the sail for non-planing conditions very efficiently : tight leech and a deep draft forward to get maximum power in light winds. Should the wind increase significantly, you can fine tune the sail for high wind : floppy leech and a flatter draft forward.

Another alternative would be a Raceboard 9.5 m2 sail, lighter and more powerfull in non-planing conditions than your Sailworks Retro 10 m2 that you got in 2007 (http://www.star-board.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1762)

2) if you want a sail to match your Serenity in non-planing conditions + another wide planing board when wind is stronger, better consider an Overdrive 8.5 or 9.5 m2. Howerver, I fear that an Overdrive 9.5 m2 is quite big and heavy for your body IMHO and might weight more than your current Sailworks Retro 10 m2 (5.4 kg in 2007 according to specs: http://sailworks.com/previous/2007_S...#anchorretro05).

3) if you want a wide planing board to be able to start and sustain the planing as early as possible (7-9 knots), I'm pretty sure you don't need a Formula + 10 m2 sail. For ultra-light weight rider like you, I've found that too wide a board doesn't bring any advantages in term of super early planing. Something 70-75 cm wide + 8.5-9.0 sail is plenty enough for example IMHO.

What are your gear other than the Serenity? Boards (still with Mistral Malibu and Flow?) and sail size (still 6.5/7.5/8.5/10 m2) and model (still Sailworks Retro) ?

Cheers !

JM

Last edited by Jean-Marc; 4th May 2012 at 08:19 PM.