Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 25th August 2012, 07:45 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default isonics life

hallo,
heard (and personally lived) many bad experences about costruction of the IS.
Usually happens to see problem with lamination in the area between the footstraps and/or just in front of the front ones in the carbon or wood/carbon models.
We have seen it in boards built in 2010/2011/2012,used with the max care for an average number of times.

What's for?

Post it here because unfortunately that's not an isolate case but pretty common in our country.

Sorry for the complaint but wonder what you reply.
Old 25th August 2012, 06:13 PM   #2
mark h

Iv'e had several iSonics and never had a problem, loads of my mates also have had several iSonics and they also have never had any issues. Are you handling your boards carefully?

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2012, 11:48 PM   #3
Unregistered

you make me smile Mark!You're the classic promoter...

Don't want your reply.

Prefer to hear Remi or Tiesda.
Old 26th August 2012, 03:28 AM   #4
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Unregistered,

We have some case for the 2010, 2011 & early 2012 when they was in UD 80g Carbon, but since we go to Biax Carbon 150g this reduce a lot this kind of problems.
Hope this help

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 10:07 AM   #5
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi View Post
Hi Unregistered,

We have some case for the 2010, 2011 & early 2012 when they was in UD 80g Carbon, but since we go to Biax Carbon 150g this reduce a lot this kind of problems.
Hope this help

All the best
I have to say, it takes a genius to do the outer deck laminate in UD.
Congrats!
Old 30th August 2012, 02:33 PM   #6
Phill104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
you make me smile Mark!You're the classic promoter...

Don't want your reply.

Prefer to hear Remi or Tiesda.

What a polite reply...

All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2012, 04:57 PM   #7
dimitrilagendijk

Default footstraps Isonic 131 2010

A troubled mind,
I have a Isonic woodcarbon 131 2010, and had a lot of fun with it. But last month while performing a simple gybe the left front footstrap completely ripped out out the board (the whole plug) and had to be repeared. I reached out to my shop and the contacted starboard. Since the board was over 2 years old, there was no more warrenty and had to pay for it myself. Initially not a big problem, and didn't think to much of it.
The first time out on the water performing a gybe, one i have performed over and over during the last two years, the footstrap on the other side came out of the board just like the strap on the other side. Since i knew the reaction of starboard, i did not even bother to contact them again. Knowing i had to pay for it myself again. That's not thing that bothers me the most, i really like sailing the isonics (owning a 131, 107, 101, and a 87) but my worst fear is that the other one's wil break just as easy as the others.
So now i am seriously considering to sell the other one's before they break as well.
And try out another brand.
Does anybody recognize this problems,
like to hear from you
Old 2nd September 2012, 08:34 PM   #8
NWF
www.nationalwatersportsfestival.com

For what it is worth. I have been sailing SB for 9 + years and have owned probably 30 + boards all in all from Formula right through the whole range, racing on national and international circuit and have never experienced any problems regarding foot straps.......
Rgds

GBR68

The toys!

Starboard
2014 Kode Wave 87 (W), 2014 AtomIQ 100/110, 2013 ISonic 49 (C), 2014 ISonic 90 (W), 2015 ISonic 107 & 120 (C) 2013 UltraSonic 147 (C)

Severne
2013 Blade 4.2, 4.7 and 5.3, 2013 Gator 6.0, 2014 NCX 5.5, 2015 NCX 6.5, 7.5, 2014 Reflex R5 5.1, 5.6, 6.2, 7.0, 7.8, 8.6 Reflex R6 9.5
NWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 03:41 PM   #9
Unregistered

you must have been very lucky.
Here in my country at least (Italy) people had plenty of problems with recent iSonics. Typical issues were deck cracks, as described here above by Remi (only change: "We have some case for ..." with: "it is almost the rule for ..."); and strap plugs popping out like in dimitrilagendijk's case.
Let's be honest.
Old 3rd September 2012, 08:13 PM   #10
RAW

Guys please,
Isonics are starboards racing machines. They are deigned for Professional racers who would push these boards to their absolute limits. I mean does any one think that BD or B VDS use the same board all season??? I seriously think not.
Further let's just think about other sports, cycling for example. I weigh 97 kg now and in my previous life i weighed about 87 kg cycled a minimum of 250-300 km a week as part of my cross training. I could not buy a Trek, Ridley, Look full carbon frame as used by the pro cyclists that weighed as little 70 kg or even less in the 60 kg range as the frames would crack under my weight. Even the pro cyclists at the time used multiple frames every tour due to cracking and fatigue. Ridley frames as used by Robbie MCEwan were renowned for cracking. He didn't do too bad on them tho.
What i am getting at is this....
I understand you are really pissed as you have paid serious money and your product has not the longetivity that you were hoping for....I would be too!
Unfortunately and fortunately for all of us the PWA requires the boards used by its competitors to be readily available to the public. Therefore they are made super light and fast so BD and B ZDS win.
The big benefit for us is that the tolerances of production are finer and we stand a better chance now of getting something close to what the Pros's use.
It's a double edge sword and I personally hope that all you guys get the exception that lasts as long as you hope for and performs to the highest of standards.
Good luck to all and enjoy your sailing.

Last edited by RAW; 3rd September 2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Spelling check
RAW is offline   Reply With Quote