Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 19th December 2012, 01:15 PM   #11
Pelegrin

And how is this compared with F-hot fins? I have bought some but I have not tried them and I do not know the rake angle. They look real nice...
Pelegrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2012, 08:30 PM   #12
mark h

Hi Pelegrin
I asking about the rake cause I wanted to play around with different rakes on my F-Hot fins. Some times a bit of info saves a lot of time I have F-Hot in 34, 38, 42, 46, 48 and 52. The 34 and 46 are set at 5 degrees and the rest are 3 degrees.

Steve does the standard F-hots at 3 degrees which is working as a good all-rounder. Steve is currently altering the rake on my 3 degree fins to 5 degrees. Not for any particular reason, just personal preference for me, and I asked about the Z-fins to see if they were similar to the rake angle that I chose to have mine at. Just happened to be the same.

Your 3 degree rake will work nicely, several French slalom guys are using them and love them. A UK PWA slalom guy is testing this winter and if there is room for improvement, a slightly different carbon lay up might be used, but for normal guys like me, the current lay up works great.

Steve will do any rake angle requested and If for some reason you want them altering in the future, Steve will alter them for a small fee to cover labour/time.

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 01:58 PM   #13
Pelegrin

Thanks Marc! I got my 46 and 52 F-Hot fins just before winter and have not hade the oportunity to try them yet but I am sure the rake will be ok for me as intermediate windsurfer taking up the sport after a break of 17 years. I will use both fins with iSonic 127 and the 52 with JP SLW 90, wich works with fins down to about 50 cm.
Pelegrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2012, 02:41 PM   #14
G

hallo Mark,
why you needed to change your fins rake?
I mean,the "original" rake was set from f-hot following your brief or it was standard and it doesn't suit your style?
Can you tell us,please,who develope those fins and if you or them have ever tested vs top market brands?
It's very difficult deliver a feedback about fins as there's no one best for any condition but I'd liked to hear where f-hot excels (apart the price!).

Thx
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2012, 06:15 PM   #15
mark h

Hi G
No I do not brief F-Hot. I buy my fins from F-Hot. Because I am a normal guy, I can only test against my old fins (Select and Tectonics).

F-hot supply the fins with any rake you want as different sailors like different styles. If sailors do not ask for a particular rake, f-hot set it at 3 degrees as an all-rounder.

I tried both 3 and 5 degrees, for me personally I like 5 degrees, so I change all mine to 5 degrees

Steve Cook from F-Hot developed the fin, check F-hot out, they have many years experience in carbon composites.

Just to be clear, F-Hot do not sponsor me, I am a normal guy who like to have good kit and sail as fast as I can, but I can not afford fins like IJU or CA etc which is why I love great value fins like F-Hot. I took a chance on F-Hot and they are working great. If I had not got F-hot, I probably would have got the new Drake DW or Select V-max. Some times we just have to take a gamble on a brand. I am much lower standard than the PWA guys

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote