Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 25th March 2015, 04:16 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default F155 fin

Hi, I bought a Futura 155 2008 a few days ago (at a good price), but it came without fin. I have a smaller Futura 131 wood 2012 and 2 sails gaastra savage 7.8 and severne gator 6.5 + 2 fins 48 drake c3 venom and 40 cm select freerace.
I bought bigger one cuz i strugled to plane on a smaller board and i wanna sort my technique on a bigger board in lighter wind. I am 85-90kg, in harness, getting grips with a straps, able to waterstart and can do lightwind gybe.
New board has a deep tuttle box. Is it possible to use my 48 cm drake tuttle fin with a new board and 7.8 sail, and how should it work, and what would be ideal fin for F155 + 7.8 sail.? Is it worth the expense getting 9,5 freerace sail or 9.0 for F155 and which fin would be good for this combo.... thx in advance.... and what do u suggest?
Old 26th March 2015, 05:30 AM   #2
Unregistered

Hello,

You can try the 48 cm fin, You only need 2cm longer screws to put a normal tuttle box fin into a deep tuttle box. For the 7,8 the 48 cm fin should be ok.

For the F155 a larger sail, like a 9,5 would help with earlier planning for sure. It would be a realy good combo. Maybe You need a longer fin then (51-53 cm).
But sailing with a big sail (9,5) is also quite demanding. It is hard to waterstart and also hard to pull up, so to have fun with a such big sail You should not fall into the water too often. If You are ready for that I would definitely get a bigger sail.

Br

Alex
Old 26th March 2015, 02:31 PM   #3
Unregistered

I'm sorry for having to tell you that but you need a bigger sail for lighter wind, not a bigger board. Going ever bigger to pursue as early planing as possible is rather frustrating if you don't have racing aspirations and very expensive also.
You can put easily a bigger then 7.8 sail on the 131 but you need to accept that there are limitations on how early you can start planing and you'd be better regarding technique improvement and even weight control if you go ever smaller and work on efficiency instead of the opposite . On the other hand if you insist on planing in less then 10kn wind -go Formula, nothing else will work.
Old 26th March 2015, 06:12 PM   #4
mcross19

Unregistered, you are right that he could have gone bigger with the sail sizing on his 131 to get planning earlier but I disagree that you only need a formula board to plane in less than 10 knots.

2015 Starboard Kode 86L Freewave, 2013 Fanatic Skate 109L, 2014 Starboard isonic 110, 2014 Starboard AtomIQ 110 & 2014 Starboard Ultrasonic 147
mcross19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 08:50 PM   #5
Unregistered

ye i know i could buy a bigger sail for a f131...but i wanted to improve my planing technique on a bigger board cuz i struggle gettin my feet in the straps..maybe i am wrong dunno, i need to try it 1st.....Should i plane easier and earlier with 155-7.8 combo than 131-7.8 combo or not?
Old 26th March 2015, 11:10 PM   #6
Unregistered

i would say/guess that YES it is easier to plane with an 85 cm wide 155 liter board than a narrower 131 liter board with the same sail that is about 8-oh ...

my buddy is much heavier and went from BIC Techno 160 to Fanatic Hawk 135
we live in a light wind area - in spring and fall there is more wind, but one may need to drive a bit
my windsurf buddy used to try stuff in winds under 16 knots with the BIC
now it needs to be steady 16 knots before he even considers going ...

with the more narrow , less volume board better technique is required and schlogging just sux
MANY people suggest get comfortable with the bigger board and play with the smaller one when the conditions are just right and when you are comfortable
i try more things when the wind is on-shore and i can run parallel to the beach

ENJOY BOTH BOARDS - they are both winners !!!
Old 26th March 2015, 11:24 PM   #7
Unregistered

My biggest board now is a 9' Starbord Converse WindSup. It is so much more fun in light wind - wave riding, freestiling or just plain relaxing cruising with a 5.8; no footstraps or even harness many times. I did myself a huge favor by getting rid of the big planing kit that just sucked when not planing. As soon as it gets above 12 kn I switch to a 110 Atom and a 7.5.
Old 27th March 2015, 04:45 PM   #8
mcross19

If you had of asked for advice before buying the board then some may have suggested you buy an 8.6 or 9m sail to use on your 131 and a bigger fin. This way you could work on your technique which will help you in the long run.

2015 Starboard Kode 86L Freewave, 2013 Fanatic Skate 109L, 2014 Starboard isonic 110, 2014 Starboard AtomIQ 110 & 2014 Starboard Ultrasonic 147
mcross19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 02:26 AM   #9
COACHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I did myself a huge favor by getting rid of the big planing kit that just sucked when not planing. As soon as it gets above 12 kn I switch to a 110 Atom and a 7.5.
Not every sailing site is the same. Your bad experience because of a lack of wind or technique should have no bearing on someone unless they sail at your location with your ability. I agree that larger sails are not suited for all locations but in this situation more information is needed before writing off larger sails. The amount of wind, size of sailing area & rider skill will determine if a 9.0 is suitable.

Alex is spot on. Longer fin bolts for the 48 cm fin & it will work fine with the 7.8 sail. Original poster, you are correct in that a bigger board smaller sail is a far better setup for learning how to get in the straps than a small board large sail. The smaller board has more drag until it gets on a plane so the increased drag will lead to increased catapults for learning. Putting a 9.5 on your 131 is great for an experienced sailor but not for you.

With your 7.8 you are going to need around 16 knts of wind to get on a plane so factor that in when you are trying to get in the straps with your 155.

Coachg
COACHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 03:33 PM   #10
Unregistered

I am starting to realize that the lack of good early planing skills is the greatest hindrance to an intermediate sailors progression! It works against you in several ways: you need a bigger kit then necessary to get going adds weight and makes handling in transitions and water starting/uphauling more difficult. At the same time a too big for the conditions kit makes you sail overpowered and having board control issues-non of wich helps with learning advanced manuevers-it forces you to sail defensively and get tired fast
That's why I would recommend to any intermediates to work hard on early planing skills before anything else! Start with the homework -articles/videos / I recommend the recent article in Windsurf Magazin 336 from Peter Hart called: "Up and riding in a flash" . Then take a look at your equipment and find ways of improving its performance and then practice what you've learned trying to get away with as smaller kit as possible.
Trying to catch and ride the small waves in front of a beach in light side on wind with a big board/Windsup and a small 5.5-6.5 sail and small fin is incredible practice of exactly those skills and lots of fun at the same time.