Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 29th March 2015, 04:00 PM   #11
Unregistered

16 knots for 155/7.8? sounds a lot....ye I definitely need to work on technique....I have read a lot of good articles and seen a lot of movies and everythig seems so easy ,but when u r on the water is everything is a bit harder ;/
Old 29th March 2015, 04:02 PM   #12
Unregistered

16 knots for 155/7.8? sounds a lot....ye I definitely need to work on technique....I have read a lot of good articles and seen a lot of movies and everythig seems so easy ,but when u r on the water everything is a bit harder ;/
Old 29th March 2015, 04:41 PM   #13
COACHG

16 knts is a rough estimate for a 90 kg sailor using a 7.8 sail. The better your technique or the lighter your weight the less wind you will need to plane. The higher your weight or lack of technique will require more.

Coachg
COACHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 05:19 PM   #14
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
16 knots for 155/7.8? sounds a lot....ye I definitely need to work on technique....I have read a lot of good articles and seen a lot of movies and everythig seems so easy ,but when u r on the water everything is a bit harder ;/
If it was easy everyone would be doing it and it would be crowded
Pay much attention on rig trimm! Set it up according the conditions: downhaul-watch the crease that gets created between the second and third batten from top-keep adding untill it gets to the middle of the panel for all around sailing , add a finger width for max or substract for min. For every downhaul setting adjust the othaul aswell /it may get unstable otherwise/- usually just a bit more from neutral.
Boom hight effects early planing tremendously-somewhere at 3/4 high in the cutout works best for most conditions for an average hight sailor /1/2 for overpowered/ but you need a good lenght harness lines /30" or more/ to be able to vary it and keep distance from the rig at the same time. Having the lines balanced and with a hand width spread will promote a comfortable stance and longer session.
The worst offender technique wise is the FRONT arm chocking the sail- keep it extended and pushing down on the boom when attempting to get planing and hold the boom right next to the harness line /keep your tumb on top of it to develop a habit/. Back hand holding close to the lines aswell may help you to prevent oversheeting. Again long harness lines required!
Recommended read: Peter Harts article "Feeling the pressures ".
Old 30th March 2015, 02:54 PM   #15
mattsurf

I disagree with the point that a big sail on the 131 will plane as early as the 155. If you are doing lots of light wind sailing, you will progress faster on a big board than a small board. I would also not recommend a formula board to anyone who is not into formula racing. Yes an F131 will take a 9.5, however, it will be much more comfortable on an F155

I sail an Isonic 110 (75cm wide) and an Is137 (85cm wide). The Is110 will carry my 8.6 comfortably..... however, 90% of the time I use it with the Is137 - noticeably easier to gybe, much faster to plane. My 9.6 on the Is137 planes in 2kts less wind than the 8.6, however, for racing I need the 9.6 for the extra power out of the gybes. Even when powered up on the 7.8 I sometimes use the Is137 over the Is110, especially if it is a little gusty

Personally I think that a 9.6 is getting very big for very marginal benefits a 9.2 or 9.0 would be fine. A 7.8 is not designed as a light wind sail, whereas a 9.0+ is, so it is not just a case of comparing size, the whole design will be different. Do not buy a full on race sail, the only benefit of a race sail is when it is in overpowered conditions, a twin cam free race or free-ride will be fine

I would see how it goes with a 48cm fin: I use a 49cm fin as my largest fin with a 9.6m
Old 2nd April 2015, 06:23 PM   #16
Unregistered

i ll practise with 7.8 until i get better, later on i ll consider getting smth around 9m. NCX 9.0, Turbo 9,2 or sytpe 9.5... I had i chance getting stype 9.5 with platinum mast 2013 in very good cond for 400E...but than i need bigger boom etc etc....
Old 2nd April 2015, 08:03 PM   #17
Mattsurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i ll practise with 7.8 until i get better, later on i ll consider getting smth around 9m. NCX 9.0, Turbo 9,2 or sytpe 9.5... I had i chance getting stype 9.5 with platinum mast 2013 in very good cond for 400E...but than i need bigger boom etc etc....
That is a really good price, mast alone is worth most of that. 250cm carbon booms come up regularly on eBay in UK even carbon ones for very small money.
Old 2nd April 2015, 10:30 PM   #18
mcross19

Yes a good price but I think you'll enjoy the NCX or Turbo more due to easier handling and rigging.

2015 Starboard Kode 86L Freewave, 2013 Fanatic Skate 109L, 2014 Starboard isonic 110, 2014 Starboard AtomIQ 110 & 2014 Starboard Ultrasonic 147
mcross19 is offline   Reply With Quote