Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 4th February 2016, 01:33 PM   #1
Kreeeytiv

Default Starboard Futura Carbon?

What is the difference between the 2015 & 2016 Starboard Futura Carbon?

I weigh 190 LB, so what size Futura would I need to be able to uphaul a 8.0 or 8.5 sail?

Why is the 2016 Starboard Futura price so high compared to other Free Race boards?

I would like to get a 2016 Futura Carbon but the price is to high, do you know where I could find a good used 2015 Futura Carbon in the USA?

Thanks!
Kreeeytiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2016, 12:03 AM   #2
COACHG

http://www.isthmussailboards.com/201...ctinfo/SB15IS/

Ithmussailboards has a carbon 120 left.

Coachg
COACHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2016, 08:32 PM   #3
TB64

Hi,

I have the same weight and will use a Futura 144 with 8,8 and 7,5. Especially for light wind and uphauling bigger sails should it be a good choice. In medium winds the 120 (or 114, 124) also works with your sails, but maybe better with water start.

In my opinion the new prices are made for the rich and will kill the future of windsurfing for the normal young generation. This is not only a problem of Starboard. Thats why it's not easy to find a good second hand board.

I'm not wondering, that nobody from the development team will answer on this question (and also not on the question of the higher weight of the new Futura Ultra Core in my seperate post). And what is UltraCore!? Nobody knows the materials and you can find nothing about the portion of carbon in this sandwich on the website. Maybe this material is even cheaper than carbon of the boards before? Who knows! Why the new Isonics don't have the new UltraCore inside?

Best regards from Germany
TB64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2016, 08:02 AM   #4
Mattsurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB64 View Post
Hi,

In my opinion the new prices are made for the rich and will kill the future of windsurfing for the normal young generation. This is not only a problem of Starboard. Thats why it's not easy to find a good second hand board.

Best regards from Germany
TB64, I don't think that anyone in the windsurfing industry is getting rich! The problem is that wages in places like Thailand and China have been increasing at more than 10% per year, materials have been getting more expensive and sales volumes have been declining.

It is ridiculous to suggest that the industry is deliberately pricing so that only the rich can afford the equipment; In fact, for many years the industry tried to kill itself by portraying and image of windsurfers as young beach bums, acting like complete morons (This put off a lot of older people, who actually do have more money to spend).

We are now at the point where custom built boards are cheaper than mass produced boards. I think that the brands need to look at a low volume local manufacturing supply chain, where boards are made to order for the end customer, the advantage will be that less people are involved in the supply chain - the challenge will be how to maintain quality and consistency of shapes
Mattsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2016, 10:27 AM   #5
TB64

Mattsurf, maybe the reason of the rapid price increasing is different. I would like to clarify, that I didn't wrote, that the windsurfing industry is getting rich! But for the normal young guys with low earning parents it's nearly impossible to by an new board. Windsurfing unfortunately increasingly becoming a luxury sport. And I'm not happy, that nobody of the development team will answer to bring light in the darkness of the price policy.

The example Futura Carbon shows for me a not traceable price increasing of fabulous 20% from 2015 to 2016, for me not only explicable with your facts. In 2015 the construction was carbon reflex - the most expensive construction. The new Ultra Core is less expensive as you can see on Starboards website technology overview. How then justify the massive price increase?

Mattsurf, I think the same as you about the role of custom boards in the future. More competition is never bad.

Best regards
Old 8th February 2016, 03:10 PM   #6
Mattsurf

Hi TB64
I think that we can all agree that the price increases will mean that windsurfing becomes too expensive to survive.

Business model needs to change for our sport to survive
Mattsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2016, 01:40 PM   #7
TB64

Quote:
And what is UltraCore!? Nobody knows the materials and you can find nothing about the portion of carbon in this sandwich on the website. Maybe this material is even cheaper than carbon of the boards before? Who knows! Why the new Isonics don't have the new UltraCore inside?
As Remi answered meanwhile in a separate post, UltraCore is a hybrid of glass and carbon and it's cheaper. I've found in the net, that such a hybrid tissue is actually known for more than 30 years. I guess - and thats pure speculation - that the Isonics don't have the UltraCore, because the part of glass could make the boards not as stiff as with full carbon (the stiffness of glass is lower than carbon, the impact/pressure resistance higher) or because the development will test one season the new UltraCore before they switch it also to the Isonics. I think that the professionals want the best and stiffest construction under their feet, especially for slalom, where stiffness is an important fact. Minimum of weight and maximum stiffness+response - I guess thats Carbon Reflex construction in the moment. I don't know, if a hybrid with glass can reach that goal. When the glass/carbon UltraCore substitutes the PVC-core maybe yes.

Last edited by TB64; 11th February 2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 19th February 2016, 09:15 PM   #8
Me Again

As far as I can tell - the 2016 carbon Futura 124 for example is the same hull design as 2015 carbon 124, but new construction technique reduces weight by 1# compared to 2015. I assume this entails more expensive mix of materials and quality control so as to avoid much-dreaded warranty issues and otherwise maintain the brand's reputation of quality.
Me Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2016, 05:06 PM   #9
TB64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Again View Post
As far as I can tell - the 2016 carbon Futura 124 for example is the same hull design as 2015 carbon 124, but new construction technique reduces weight by 1# compared to 2015. I assume this entails more expensive mix of materials and quality control so as to avoid much-dreaded warranty issues and otherwise maintain the brand's reputation of quality.
I ask to myself, if the new UltraCore is a step in the wrong direction and if the quality is really so good as promised from Starboard. My new Futura UltraCore became three cracks in the middle deck-section of the board in the first three days of normal use in lightwind conditions without impact! The deck of the board was soft in some parts. An isolated case? So it was a warranty issue an thanks to Starboard for changing into a new board. But instead of UltraCore I decided for a Futura Wood Reflex 2016, because I expect, that is more durable than UltraCore. It was gratifying, that the weight of the Futura 144 2016 Wood Reflex was only 8,72 kg - 470g more than the UltraCore I had before. I used the Wood Reflex board in the last three days without any problem. The new Futura Wood Reflex has PVC Biaxial Glass sandwich deck an no more wood in the deck. Probably that's why the colored deck. I don't know, if the strength of the glass/pvc-deck is the same as the wood deck of the Futuras in the years before. But it would interest me.

Last edited by TB64; 7th May 2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 8th May 2016, 01:59 PM   #10
Kreeeytiv

Quote:
I ask to myself, if the new UltraCore is a step in the wrong direction and if the quality is really so good as promised from Starboard. My new Futura UltraCore became three cracks in the middle deck-section of the board in the first three days of normal use in lightwind conditions without impact! The deck of the board was soft in some parts. An isolated case? So it was a warranty issue an thanks to Starboard for changing into a new board. But instead of UltraCore I decided for a Futura Wood Reflex 2016, because I expect, that is more durable than UltraCore. It was gratifying, that the weight of the Futura 144 2016 Wood Reflex was only 8,72 kg - 470g more than the UltraCore I had before. I used the Wood Reflex board in the last three days without any problem. The new Futura Wood Reflex has PVC Biaxial Glass sandwich deck an no more wood in the deck. Probably that's why the colored deck. I don't know, if the strength of the glass/pvc-deck is the same as the wood deck of the Futuras in the years before. But it would interest me.
My new 2016 Futura UltraCore 124 has a crack after using it 3 time, and it also has soft parts on the deck. I love the board but I'm extremely disappointed with how fragile it is! I will also be making a warranty claim. So sad!
Kreeeytiv is offline   Reply With Quote