Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 18th April 2016, 03:20 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default Atomiq 114 experience?

Anyone having any experience with an atomiq 114? I am planning to use it with 6.0 convert and 7.5 ncx in both flat and choppy conditions. I weight 75 kg. Does it handle chop well? Any problems with spinout ? Looking forward to get feedback!
Old 3rd May 2016, 12:51 PM   #2
Unregistered

Hi
I have now bought an atomiq 114 wood, but I have not tested it yet. Last weekend it was snowing, so I wanted a little bit warmer weather for my first ride.

I have read the test report in Windsurf, and it looks promising. Have not been able to get a copy of the german Surf, though.

Has anyone any suggestions for trim of this board? Mast position, footstrap positions, or fins for different sails?

Regards
Old 4th May 2016, 12:21 AM   #3
Unregistered

I have the v1 AtomIQ 110 and I have my front footstraps on the 3rd holes from the nose and the back ones on the 2nd /middle/ holes, all out. In lighter winds and my biggest sail-7.5 -I put the mast foot apr. 2 cm back from center for more liveliness and stronger winds I put it smack in the middle. I never put it forward of center because it becomes too sticky. The new AtomIQ may be a bit different dough, but not too much I believe. Great boards , everything comes easier on them, but you still have to work a bit to get it planing in lighter winds-turn downwind, get low and away from the rig, apply mfp, be light on the back foot etc.
Old 4th May 2016, 06:55 AM   #4
Unregistered

Thanks for your response! I had a Carve 111, 2014 previously and it was also a great board, but probably less technical to get it planing. I have also sailed Futura 121 which needed to be turned downwind in order to get going in lighter winds. So hopefully, I will manage it on the atomig 114. Have you used a larger fin for your 7.5, or do you only use the standard 38 cm?
Old 5th May 2016, 04:30 PM   #5
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks for your response! I had a Carve 111, 2014 previously and it was also a great board, but probably less technical to get it planing. I have also sailed Futura 121 which needed to be turned downwind in order to get going in lighter winds. So hopefully, I will manage it on the atomig 114. Have you used a larger fin for your 7.5, or do you only use the standard 38 cm?
I'm using a 44cm MFC LiquidPro with the 7.5. The original fin is useless for me in the chop and I'm glad they have replaced it with a better G10 one for v2.
Old 7th June 2016, 11:14 AM   #6
Unregistered

Smile

I have testet my atomiq 114 for the first time with my 7.5 NCX. First session was on relatively flat water, and my first impression was that this is a very easy uncomplicated board, which is very good for an intermediate rider . I liked the deck dome in the tail straight away, really comfortable and good for driving the board against the fin. I also felt that the 114 and the 7.5 were a good combination.

In my second session, I went out in high chop, and I was really powered up on my 7.5. Several other guys were out on iSonics and 7.8 slalom sails. Therefore, I was a bit concerned and skeptical about how this 75 cm wide board would behave. My old 75 cm wide board would have been quite difficult to control in these conditions. Well, even thougt the board is quite big, it was suprisingly easy to control. Sometimes I was a bit scared and sailed rather definsive over the chop, and I consequently expected to have "spin outs", but the board stayed suprisingly in good control. I used the standard 38 cm fin, and it seemed to be well fitted to the board.

So looking forward to my next seesion. Want to test it in even rougher conditions to see wether it can be controlled in high chop and 6.0 weather!
Old 10th July 2016, 02:10 PM   #7
mcross19

Finally got round to using my AtomIQ 114 last weekend with 6 & 7m sails. My first impressions were that perhaps it didn't plane as early as the previous incarnation but as I used it more it probably seemed about the same even with the 1cm increase in width. I am using different sails so that could have also added to the difference in feeling. The main difference I immediately noticed was the increase in top speed and its ability to maintain that top speed. I didn't use the stock fin but opted for my 40 & 42cm Techart freeride fins.

I was sailing at a location where there was quite a lot of chop which it handled quite well but still felt quite slappy at times. I thought no board could have felt comfortable in that but then I tried a friends 2010 futura and it just seemed to fly over the top of the chop making the ride much smoother. The increase in length over the previous model helps a lot with tacking although I never had an issue with the older board but beginners will find it more reassuring.

I will try to post another reply when I finally get round to trying the 8m NCX on it.

2015 Kode 86L Freewave, 2016 Flare 103L, 2015 isonic 107 & 120, 2016 AtomIQ 114 & 2014 Starboard Ultrasonic 147
mcross19 is offline   Reply With Quote