Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 13th February 2007, 05:56 AM   #1

Default EVO INFO

I'm buying a 2004 evo 70 or 74, I've been told that in 2004 the evo 70 is the only size that didnt have heel bumpers? Is this true?
thanks rich
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 08:50 AM   #2

Default RE: EVO INFO

Don't know about the heal bumpers or even what one is, for that matter.

Performance-wise the '04 70L is way more rippy than the '04 74L, in my opinion.
Old 13th February 2007, 02:05 PM   #3
Ola_H
TEAM

I had both the 70 and 74 2004 EVO, but I can't remember about the heel bumpers. I'll see if I can get Tiesda to answer this one.

If you don't have a particularly strong reason for wanting the heel bumpers, I would more consider the diference between the two boards. They are more different than the size and looks indicate. The 74 is looser in smaller waves but gets less natural in bigger waves or in more wind. The 70 har a more drivey character and requires a bit more technique to rip in the super slow stuff but on the other hand is much more natural in more wind and in better waves.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 02:30 PM   #4

Good advice, Im thinkinking of using the board in 25-40 knots, so I'm guessing the choice is obvious. I'm still interested in knowing how much a difference landing big jumps without heel bumpers will make?
Old 14th February 2007, 12:00 AM   #5
Ray Timm

I have an Evo 70-04 that was one of the first produced and it doesn't have heel bumpers on it. It is easy to tell if the board has them by pushing hard with your thumb on the pad; start at the edge of the pad and you'll notice a discernible change if there is a bumper.

I also have an Evo 70-05 and the difference in rough bump/jump condtions between it and the 04 model is noticable. Not much difference in wave sailing unless you land you jumps flat.
Ray Timm is offline   Reply With Quote