Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 14th February 2007, 07:54 AM   #1
aa25

Default 2007 Kombat 79 - how is it?

G'day from Melbourne, Australia.

Any comments on the Kombat 79 and how it performs as a high wind freestyle-wave board and a potential one-board solution for a lighter guy like myself (around 71kg)? I'm guessing you guys must have tested this a bit!?

I used the 2005 Kombat 95 (wood) a lot and it was actually good for learning spocks, spock540s and even lighter wind backloops, but, being 95l, I found it obviously heavy and too big in stronger winds and also a bit docile in straight line tracking.

Much of my sailing is high-wind cross-shore to cross-onshore sailing (almost similar to Pozo on big days) where I like to mix up big jumps and loops with freestyle (spocks, spock540s and ponches) and backside/frontside waveriding.

I'm really interested in how the Kombat 79 performs for this sort of sailing and whether it is early planing and still ok in wind down to around 20knots!?

I'd much appreciate some feedback on this as I haven't found any reviews/comments on the Kombat 79 anywhere yet!

cheers
Andy
aa25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 04:33 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Default RE: 2007 Kombat 79 - how is it?

Hi

I have unfortunately not sailed the K79 myself, but have used the 87 quite a lot and have some testimonails from others regarding the 79.

First, the 07 KOmbats are pretty differnt from the original 85/95/105. The rocker is totally different and so is the rest of the bottom layout - it used to ba a concave and not is a tricky vee configuration (so no problems with straight line tracking). The result is a much faster and livelier board but I would also say that stability in a turn is greatly improved. I'm no freestyler myself, but if anything the 07 Kombats are better at this by virtue of their speed and since they sort of feels less "sticky".

In any case, I have a VERY hard time imagining any better board for a one board solution like you describe. No doubt the Kombats are great wave riding board with a feel reminescent of the Acids (which pretty much have the same rocker and v config). Wider tail and nose will mean a more stable platform than the Acids and also a bit more effectiveness when its light and small, but you pay for this when wave riding gets faster when the Kombats starts getting a handful earlier. You can expand their range in such conditions by both going for smaller fins and also rig a bit smaller. If your only gonna sial in waves, I would trick the K79 out with a Drake Natural fin or two to boost the wave performance.

With the section above in mind, the only alternative that comes to mind for you is an Pure Acid 74. As I wrote above, the rocker and v is very similar and so is the general ride in a wave setting. At 71 kilos (I weight 69 myself), the 74 will get going very early too, though it would be a bit less agile at 20knots than the K79, I would say. On the other hand, I predict the PA74 to keep you comfortable a fair bit longer into the high wind range.

To simplify, if your focus is sailing in the 5.8-4.5 range, the K79 might be the best alternative. If your focus is 5.3-3.5 you might want to look at the PA74 instead. Both are amazing boards though that mixes performance and easy riding in an almost miraculous way.

Pleas ask again if you need more info.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 05:31 PM   #3
Jonathan

Default RE: 2007 Kombat 79 - how is it?

Hi AA25,

Not a Team Member but I do sail in Melbourne, weigh just slightly less than you and own a PA 74 Wood. So far I've sailed it in the Bay and also Waratah Bay about 6 or 8 times with 5.3 down to 4.2. In fact since I bought it haven't sailed anything else and I have a stupidly full van. Fantastic board in the bay although I'm not looping or freestyling, just great for jumping, blasting through the chop and getting the odd turn on the sea breeze wave faces. Very different board to my old Evo 74 and much more suited to bay conditions IMO - a really great board, incredibly easy to sail fast and confidently. Quite sailable in less than 20 with a 5.3, but I certainly wouldn't try anything bigger than 5.3. Been thinking lately that the perfect combo would be Komat 87 and Evo 74.....but you did want the one board solution! If you see me (lime green VW van) you're welcome to have a go.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote