Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 18th February 2007, 10:07 PM   #1
slajder

Default grainy bottom surface of the freesex wood

Hi

I bought a Freesex Wood 3 weeks ago (testboard, authorized dealer, 2 year warranty).
I surfed last week, and after I noticed 5-6 pieces of paralel bursts on the bottom next to the fin. They were rather to taste than to see.
Today I surfed 3-4 hours and now there are thousands of similar burst everywhere on the bottom! :-((

What is the cause, can it be worse, and is the warranty applicable for this?

Thanks Leslie
slajder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 01:54 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Default RE: grainy bottom surface of the freesex wood

Its very difficult to assess what this is from a written description only. The ablsolute best thing is to take it back to the dealar and have them look at it.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 02:33 PM   #3
slajder

I think the bottom surface must be totally smooth. Had anybody such experience with the wood laminate? I think the very thin (unfortunately "limited finish") painting and the wood bottom can't resist the small waves bombarding the surface.
I am afraid in a few weeks I can rub off the painting with my fingernails
Old 19th February 2007, 04:48 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

I had a Freesex with that finish that did not develope any pecularities on the bottom surface. I think it must be a problem with the finish on your particular board, so again, try to get the dealer look at it.
Old 19th February 2007, 09:55 PM   #5
slajder

Thank you for your reply

It's a sticky thing, as I arrived home I watched once more the bottom of my favourite board and the bursts were getting flatter, most of them disappeared
But a few of them are present, especially where the paint is very thin (the original color of the wood is to be seen).

I hate this "limited finish". With a normal thickness painting it would be perfect and less vulnerable.

2 more questions and I don't disturb you with that problem

1. What dou you think about the real value of this limited painting? I mean this is simply marketing, not a pregnant weight save (but cost save surely...)
2. How does affect the flaking off of the painting the water impermeability? (should I always repair?)

Thanks once more

Old 21st February 2007, 01:56 AM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

1. I don't know what the weight difference might be, 100g maybe. But I also don't think the "stonewash" finish is neccesarily any weaker. With thicker paint, you can always get into problems with the pain flaking if you hit in. Starboard still has this kind of finish on many race boards, and they sell many, many of these every year, so that is why I think your problem relates to your particular board and not the finish as such.

2. The wood is impregnated and "sealed" but since I don't know exactly what the problem is with your board I would again say the safest thing is to let the dealer have a look at it as soon as possible.
Old 21st February 2007, 03:12 AM   #7
slajder

Contacted the dealer and his opinion: the very cold water and weather (both 4-5 degrees) made the gelcoat layer very rigid and therefore fragile. Soon must be replaced, of course warranty available.

Thank you for your help
Old 21st February 2007, 03:50 AM   #8
Ola_H
TEAM

OK. I hope everything works out OK.

Cheers,
Old 21st February 2007, 03:55 PM   #9
mikel

Hello I had a formula that the stiks had bubles and with heat they do something as you sais. can be something similar. is behind the stiks?.
mikel is offline   Reply With Quote