Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 14th February 2007, 08:49 AM   #1

Default SUP boards

And are they good to replace a surfing longboard for surfing too? or not? have you tried them.

Ricardo
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 09:28 AM   #2
steveC

Default RE: SUP boards

Hi Ricardo,

While I think that many of us want more details regarding the Starboard's anticipated SUPs, I have to say that any boards with the length of over 12 feet, with 25"+ widths, will be quite lumbersome in comparison with shorter/thinner regular longboards made for surfing. Watch out for critical top-to-bottom waves on SUP beasts, as you don't want to caught too high up the wave before it suddenly pitches.

One must remember though, that surfboards of any type will not float you statically standing on them, and that's an important difference. Also, one must remember that top level SUP performers using a paddle appear much more aggressive in their turns and maneuvers (think Laird Hamilton or Sean Ordenez), yet more normal folks won't find SUPs necessariy as capable or maneuverable.

If you want to surf (not SUP surfing or light wind longboard windsurfing), get a true surfboard. I don't think that there would be any real debate about this conclusion.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 04:20 PM   #3
Svein Rasmussen
NOR-1 Dream Team - President

Hi Steve C

You may wish to converse with Laird Hamilton, Dave Kalama and Mark Raaphors before you conclude further on the future of SUP surfing
Svein Rasmussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2007, 12:21 AM   #4
steveC

Hi Svein,

I think you misunderstood my comments to Ricardo. Having been an avid surfer for 23 years before discovering windsurfing over 20 years ago, the mainstream sport of regular surfing is quite a bit different than SUP. If one's interest was strictly surfing, you would be much better off buying a shortboard or normal longboard to get the most out of sport. I have no doubt that if you gave most surfers the chance to pick the board they wanted from the rack at the surfshop, the SUP without the paddle wouldn't have a chance. Really, even regular longboard surfboards are greatly outsold by shortboards in light of their far greater maneuverability on the wave, especially very fast critical ones.

Now on the topic of Stand Up Paddling, particularly a SUP that incorporates a mast attachment point, you guys REALLY have my attention. I think that's clear from my other posts on the two other threads on the topic. You ought to check them out, because my interest is quite clear, and I think that you will agree my input is very positive. It's important to note that I'm the one that provided the web address yesterday showing a bunch of great SUP photos from the recent Makaha contest on Oahu. I realize that SUP is a hot new growing sport that is attracting attention and interest, even amongst traditional surfers.

Lastly, in one of my earlier posts, I asked a few questions concerning your anticipated SUPs. It would be great if you or someone from the Starboard Team would kindly offer some response.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2007, 11:48 PM   #5

Do you guys have any provisional dates for the availability on the SUPs?

They look awesome and my girlfriend can use it too!
Old 21st February 2007, 01:21 AM   #6
Happy

Don't know if it is of any help but the first ones will reach Holland at the end of April, beginning of May according to our *board distributor.
Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2007, 06:18 AM   #7

"Really, even regular longboard surfboards are greatly outsold by shortboards in light of their far greater maneuverability on the wave, especially very fast critical ones."

Longboards are not "greatly outsold" at all according to the surfing industry magazine, which says longboards compose about 1/2 of the surfboard market.

http://www.twsbiz.com/twbiz/features/article/0,21214,1081055,00.html
Old 22nd February 2007, 09:19 AM   #8

steve C why don't you come back and report on SUP after you have some personal experience? we're trying to learn from people that have actually done it, so please try to listen. You're only stating the obvious again. I heard from someone on Maui that Laird doesn't even laydown surf anymore in any kind of surf no matter how big and hollow, and the top surfers are all doing it, so I don't think you know what you're talking about (again).
Old 22nd February 2007, 09:52 AM   #9

I don't know about SUP boards turning more surfers onto windsurfing. Might be the other way round. As a windsurfer, for the first time ever I was looking through some longboard surf mags at lunchtime...looks pretty cool :-)...might give it a go.

BTW, one manufacturer claimed 60% of his sales were longboards.....