Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 25th February 2007, 01:40 AM   #1
theron

Default evo80 or combat87?

Hello i am Ronald from Zandvoort, The Netherlands. I am a windsurfer since the early day 1975 and started on the Ten Cate which we cut off 40 cm to create monouverability.... Since ten years a big starboard fan which I surf on the Northsea. Even my 13 year old son developed on the Fish90 which I saved for him. I want to replace smallest board currently an Acid in a more easy wave board. Early planning is pretty important for me. Which board suits better for that the evo 80 or 90 or the Combat 87? Regards, Ronald
theron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2007, 03:25 AM   #2
Happy

Default RE: evo80 or combat87?

Hi Ronald, sailing at Zandvoort as well (summertime at Skyline) wintertime near the spot. Tell us a bit more about your weight, windrange/sails you want to use the board in. I sailed both the Evo 80 (2005) and Evo 74 (2006) quite often at Zandvoort and they are very good for what the northsea throws at us.
Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2007, 03:40 AM   #3
theron

My weigt is 87 kilo's but I am 41 years old now and starting to get a little bit slower and not pushing it to the limits any more, so the comfort of early planning is getting more important for me and if I want to go crazy on a good day it must work as well.
Old 25th February 2007, 04:40 AM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

I have both these boards and both are very nice and overlap a bit in what they can do. The Kombat is easier to get to plane, especially in onhore waves, with big sails (5.5 and up) and when you're underpowered. To "get even" on the E80 you have to do more work yourself, so to say.

On a wave, the Kombat is surprisingly good and especially in cross on-sideshore and nice but not super fast or really big wave the Kombat shines. It feel fairly close to a Pure Acid in these conditions. When it get bigger and faster you will pay a littly for the extra tail width (compared to Acids) and the combination of high speed and relative width requires more power and technique from the rider. At the oterh hand, almost onshore and slow waves, it looses out compared to and EVO because you're almost enivitably gonna loose speed when pushing the straighter rockerd Kombat through a tight bottom turn (when there is not much sail or wave drive). Regardless of wave, the K87 prefers a more drawn out turn than the EVO.

The EVO 80 is a true wonder for versatility on a wave and it rocks from super small and super slow well into the big and fast range. The part of a wave ride where most people have problems is the transition from a bottom turn into getting more vertical and hit the lip. This the EVO does practically on autopilot and that is the reason many peeple feel they develope into better wave sailors on that board. But as I wrote above, you pay a bit in straightline feel.

Note that alla this is in a direct comparasion. If you only sail the EVO, you might think its just terrific in a straightline and if you only sail the Kombat You might love its behaviour also on smaller or bigger waves (not just the medium ones).

One way to differ between them is to say that if you live for riding waves frontside, than the EVO is probably it while if you more do blasting and jumping and only push the frontside riding when you get a good setup, than the K87 might be a better choice.

Please ask again of you want more specific info.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2007, 01:58 PM   #5
theron

Thanks Ola, you convinced me purchasing the C87. Thanks for the detailed discribtion and now I can make the local dealer happy. Ronald
Old 25th February 2007, 02:43 PM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

At your weight I think you will find the K87 a killer board on a wave too. One thing I forgot: to make full advantage of the prestanda on a wave, I would get a Drake Natural fin to complement the original Crossover 26. The best complementing size is probably the Natural 24 but that depends a bit on your sail sizes and in which winds you start to get good waves.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 04:29 AM   #7
Happy

Ronald, congrats on your (future) purchase. Would be nice to share some waves at Zandvoort this season. The Drake Natural is a killer fin, I love it though some people around me have a hard time getting to grips with this fin (mainly to do with sizing, pick a natural 1 or even 2 cm. larger than you would pick a 'normal' sideshore fin). If you are not sure about which fin to get for your new board (if you want one that is) you can always 'drop in' on me and my sailing buddies at skyline and you can test some fins of ours.
Old 27th February 2007, 12:17 AM   #8
theron

Thanks Happy! Didn't knew that there were such StarBoard fanatics in my home town. Especially not in Skyline because I thougt that everything was concentrated around Sandy Hill and the Spot. I live in Zandvoort South above Havanna Beach Club, so there must me a Northern wind for me to get there with an aesy return. See you between the waves or in the air! Regards, Ronald
Old 27th February 2007, 12:29 AM   #9
Happy

Cool, see you there!