Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 8th March 2007, 08:55 PM   #1
MichaelS

Default Weed fin for F-type 148

Hi Roger

I am looking for a weedfin for my FT148, to be used with a 10 m freerace sail. Weeds in my area are eel-grass type, not huge amounts, but enough to cause a spin-out each 2-300 m on an upright fin.

Searching the forum reveals quite a few posts on the subject. Living close to Germany, i am tempted to go for the 40 cm Lessacher Duo. But you have also mentioned a new progressive rake design from Lessacher. Have you had a chance to try this out?

Also, can you please be a bit more specific about the Duo you are using? I found two apparently different designs on the web - a very wide chord Formula Duo distributed by Tekknosport, and a more "normal" aspect ratio Duo Weed on www.cameraid.com/lessacher/.

Michael
MichaelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 10:42 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Weed fin for F-type 148

Hi Michael,
Sorry for the delayed reply but it was a "heavy duty" demo weekend and I simply didn't have the time give you an answer.
The Lessacher Design 40 cm Formula Duo is the all black carbon model with the assymetical foil.
I think for an F-type 148, I might recommend the 36 cm as it would be faster.
I tried the 40 cm Formula Duo on the 148 Isonic yesterday and I wasn't too happy with it as it's so far behind the board.
Maybe not a problem on the F-Type, but it seemed to be a problem on the Isonic 148 with alot more cutaways and the fin located further back toward the tail of the board.
I have not tried or tested the rumored new set forward fin from Wolfgang L. but that's my fault for not giving him more imput which it will take care of this week.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 10:46 PM   #3
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme

Roger, when I'm out for Windfest, you or I can jump on my (your old) F-Type 148 and see how the 40cm Formula Duo works on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2007, 08:50 AM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi o2bnme,
Sounds good to me.
When I set up the 8.5 NXslm and the Isonic 148 yesterday I wasn't
having a real good day.
I re rigged the 8.5 and made it alot better, but ran out of time to
check out the 40 cm Formula Duo/F-148 issues, other than to put on the stock fin which worked pretty good with the 8.5, but collected alot of weeds.
Hope this helps, and see you at the Frisco Woods Windfest!
Old 13th March 2007, 06:18 PM   #5
MichaelS

Hi Roger

You don't have to excuse - i really appreciate that you are using your spare time to answer questions on this forum, and i don't mind waiting a few days for your in-depth answers.

Based on your input, i suppose the 40 cm Duo Weed as shown here
http://www.cameraid.com/Lessacher/weed.html
would be a better solution for the FT. Less area and protusion behind the board than the Formula Duo, and probably "speedier", too. But since you are going to take up the "set forward" fin again, i think i will wait and see how that is going to develop. Will you be posting updates on the new fin in this forum?

o2bnme, thanks for offering your help. It actually brings another question to my mind: i noticed in some of your older posts, that you are using a 70 cm fin on the FT148. How is the ride with such a large fin? I am looking at a 64-66 cm for my lightwind no-weed setup, but maybe i could go even larger at 75 kg? Any comments would be highly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Michael
Old 13th March 2007, 08:07 PM   #6
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Michael,
Yes, that would be the right series of Lessacher fins, but that looks like the 36 cm.
The 40 is quite a bit bigger, with a significantly wider chord, but the same basic shape and LE angle.
Hope this helps,
Old 13th March 2007, 08:10 PM   #7
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme

My 70cm fin is a Drake 700 from a couple of years ago. So, it is nothing fancy. The FT148 does great with this fin. I find the board very stable and gets on a plane much earlier than my 66cm. When my 9.8 is fully powered up (or overpowered), the 70cm fin keeps things manageable. I haven't had an opportunity to test enough with my 66cm/9.8m2 combination. I feel it would be a good combination when fully powered up with no lulls, but when that's the case, I find I've gone down to an 8.0m2 sail. When I'm using this sail, I'm using a 56cm fin. I'm 65kg, so I typically use smaller sails than most.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2007, 09:18 PM   #8
MichaelS

Roger,

I was not quite clear in my previous mail. There appears to be two series of large Lessacher weedfins, both covering up to 40 cm. The Duo Weed as in the previous link, which i believe is made to order by Wolfgang, and the wide-chord Formula Duo http://www.designlessacher.de/deut_02/formula.htm, which appears to be an older design which is licenced to Tekknosport (can be found in their catalog, and looks even wider).
There is a major difference in area (515 vs. 700 sq.cm in 40 cm), and your description made me think you had the wide Formula Duo. Is this the case?

o2bnme,

Thanks for the information. I think i will look for a 70 cm fin, i guess there are lots of used formula fins around in this size .

Thanks,
Michael
Old 13th March 2007, 10:37 PM   #9
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Michael,
Yes, Wolfgang sent me the Formula Duo 40 , a 36 cm , a 32 cm, and a 25 cm.
I like all of them!
It was the formula fin that seemed to be a little too close to the surface on the Isonic 148.
I'll havew to see if I can get a regular 40 cm to test.
R