Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 15th February 2007, 11:59 PM   #1
SpeedChaser

Default Help with choosing a wave board!

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a new wave board and need some help making a choice. I want to go Starboard but I'm not sure which one. I'm 6ft and 155lbs, will be sailing in gusty B+J but with this board mostly waves and big swell. Up here in Ottawa, the closest we have to real wave sailing is the great lakes. I already have a 2005 95L Kombat, so I'd like something to compliment that in higher wind and handles a 3.7, 4.5, and 5.3.

This is what I'm looking at:
2006 PA 80L
2005 Acid 74L
2006 Evo 74L
2005 Evo 74L

Obviously I'm considering the 2005's for the price* advantage.

So I guess the dilemma is choosing the Evo or the Acid. The 2005 Acid 74L appeals to me for it's aggressive, pure wave riding performance, however, I'd be sacrificing performance in the marginal conditions and B+J.

The 2006 PA 80L appeals to me for the sail range, but also the capability of pure wave riding AND high speed B+J. Disadvantage: price*.

The Evo's, in general, appeal to me for their obvious performance advantage in marginal wind conditions and less than perfect wave conditions. Again, only considering the 2005 Evo for the price advantage, however, I'd like to know what the differences are between the 2005 Evo and 2006 Evo.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Scott
SpeedChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 03:49 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Default RE: Help with choosing a wave board!

Interesting question. The first thing to ask is wether you're gonna be doing any frontside wave riding. I'm not so familiar with the sailing on the Great Lakes and while I know there are some sailors that love their EVOs there, I somehow have the impression its not so much frontside riding but rather backside and B&J. Then I would actually say some of the Acids are better. I love EVOs myself, but for the type of sailing I describe above, even I would choose an Acid. So, assuming my description is right, we can concentrate on Acids (and ask again if my assumption is wrong and/or if your still interested in an EVO, difference between 05 and 06 E74 is only fin and straps and maybe some construction updates).

All Acids are concieved as pure down the line wave riding boards, but they are in fact also excellent B&J boards. This goes for the PA 80 and 86 06 and all PAs from 07 especially. The 06 PA 80 might be one of THE best wave boards for blasting ever (just ask Ian Fox - well known for his blasting skills). At your weight (incidentally pretty much the same as mine) the 80 might start to get a bit big though. 5.3 is will still be perfect on the 80 and 4.5 good too, but 3.7 will start to get hectic.

So, left is the 05 Acid 74. While this board is not really an as good a blaster as the 07 PA 74 it would still hold its own against most wave boards. On a wave its a VERY nice board. Frontside it has this nice kind of flow to it and backside its very agile and crisp. It easily handles 5.3, but prefers to be powered up at this sail size (I used it even with a 5.6, so its not like the 5.3 is an absolute limit). Compared to an EVO 74, I would not say there are any disadvantages for B&J and marginal stuff (except for frontside wave riding).

So, if you're getting the 06 A74 at a good price, I would say GO.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 04:04 AM   #3
SpeedChaser

You got it right Ola. Most of the riding is backside and B+J. So it sounds like the Acid is the best choice. In terms of size, I think the 74L would also be best, a good complement to the 95L Kombat, handles 3.7, , and still nice with a 5.3.

So I think I'll go with the 2005 Acid 74L!

Thanks,
Scott
SpeedChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 04:24 AM   #4
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg

ya... i agree with every one too. you won't need your kombat 05, and im sure some kid named Thomas Dagg would love that board. I am sure all of us here on the forums want to see another young windsurfer get their first small board.
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2007, 09:17 PM   #5
dkeith

Quick question to Ola and anybody else on the Starboard team, also a big hello to all those Ottawa sailors.

Ola I am in a similar situation to Spededchaser/Scott. I am 68kg and sail out of Ottawa. Other board is a Trance 94 and I sail mostly river and lake B&J with a yearly trip to North Carolina to sail the real ocean. When it gets windy around here I usually travel to Lake Ontario where the waves get anywhere from a comfortable 4'-6' to 8'+ in the fall. Wind is pretty well dead onshore most of the time and because it is a wind driven swell the wave period is quite short and it can be difficult getting out sometimes without a floaty board or bigger fin.

See links for examples.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74278247@N00/sets/1666895/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/74278247@N00/117994750/in/set-1666895/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/windsurfingdirect/96825781/

I too am looking for a board to handle 3.7 - 5.3. While I can understand the PA74 would be a better B&J board I thought the E70 would be a better board for the onshore mush we see on Lake Ontario. Any thoughts on this? and for my weight should I be looking at the PA68, E70, E75 or the PA 74. Windy around here means 4.5 - 5.3. I pull out my 4.0 2-3 times a year.

dkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2007, 12:25 AM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

I would (again) say EVO or Acid in this case depends on if you want to focus mainly on frontside wave riding or more on the B&J side of things. If you love the riding part and want to focus on having the best possibility to rip on days like on the pics (in which conditions look very good to me), I would say and EVO. For this they are hard to beat. I would then suggest the EVO 70. Its not so much slower to plane with a 5.3 and has a more drivey feel to it which will be a plus both for straightline sailing and also on the waves since I suppose that you will not get the best waves until its quite windy. The E70 will not be as nice for blasting as the Acids, but if you want excellence in those waves the compromise is worth it.

If the truth is that those "picture days" only comes once or twice a year and that you actually prefere to struggle a bit more then and instead have a better general high wind board the Acid is better. Here I would say the PA74 is better than the 68 because ist a bit looser on a small wave.

So, the key question is wether fronstide riding is priority 1.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2007, 07:46 AM   #7
Tim Fast

Hi,

go for the PA, I like mine very much in B&J conditions is works great

Tim
Tim Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2007, 08:31 AM   #8
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Quote:
dkeith wrote:
Wind is pretty well dead onshore most of the time and because it is a wind driven swell the wave period is quite short and it can be difficult getting out sometimes without a floaty board or bigger fin.
Also sailing on a lake with dead onshore wind and short period swell/waves, another element to take into the equation is that a faster to accelerate and early planing board such as a Pure Acid is clearly easier to get safely through wind-driven swell/wave sets than an Evo. A wave onshore fin with more surface than either a classic sideshore or Drake Natural wave fin does help a lot in these kind of conditions as well. Quick planing and acceleration are key players in dead onshore waveriding.

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote