Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 14th March 2007, 07:41 PM   #11
Per

Default RE: Aero with cammed sails, any experience?

Hi Guys, and thanks..
I've ordered the 8.5 T-bird. It's a no cam, but far from sluggish.
I did 32 knots on my ST115 with a T-bird 6.5 once....
Guess the Lightning has a little more bottom end (I actually had a 9.4 too, once, lovely freerace machine), but the T-bird will win on looseness and manouvres (I could do planing jibes with my 9.4 though..)...

Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2007, 03:16 PM   #12
Ola_H
TEAM

Interesting thread and I think the differnt views on wether a cam sail would be good on the Aero or not reflect that the board is in fact very versatile and can be sailed in many different ways and the more time you get on it the better you can tune your stance to push it into terretories which are not neccesarily the most "core" to the board.

I personally never tried a cam sail on the Aero (I have 117). I messed around with a whole bunch of sails around 7-7.5 though. My experience is that the sail that got me planing the earliest (also in freeride setting) was a Hot Superfreak. This is a pretty flat and very "tight leeched" sail (100% dacron) which is not even fully battened (2 75% battens, the rest full length). The Aero need some care to break the planing treshold and the pumping technique that works with the tight superfreak simply seems to match up extremely well to the Aero. The superfreak is also an ideal partner to the Aero for any kinf of manouver oriented sailing.

I have a much easier time planing early with the 7.0 superfreak than with my 7.5 Speed demon (a nocam freeride/salom). The Speed Demon is still a sail with quite a lot of bottom end grunt, but its far more "floppy" at idle than the Superfreak and this means you need to move it around more when pumping and get a tad more trick to at the same time trim the Aero onto its pretty short "planing surface".

No doubt, the SpeedDemon makes the Aero go faster and maybe also handle lulls better once planing and alltough the Superfreak handles a totally unreasonably amount of wind, the Speed Demon still makes the Aero easier to sail on overpowered mode.

I've also used two other sails in this sail range, but I think the two above is enough to prove my point (which is that different sails are good for different things and optimizing for one aspect usually measn compromising others. And the better you are at sailing your particular board, the easier you can work around shortcomings of a particular sail on that board).

Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2007, 03:25 PM   #13
geo

Ola,

this to me proves even better (if needed) that tighter leech makes for earlier planing, rather than deeper draft.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2007, 05:48 PM   #14
Per

Hi again..
Interesting...
Actually the Aero is one of few boards that are designed around a sail range (for its intended use) that is non existing...
A BIG wave board, but HUGE wave sail├Žs do not exist (yet)
Ideally, at my 100 kgs, the best would be a tight leech few battened, high clew 8.5 m2 sail that's manouvreable, light and seriousely early planing...

Didn't see it yet, so anything else will be a compromise.

Old 16th March 2007, 03:07 AM   #15
Dolf

Hi Per,
The SuperFreak 7.0 and 8.0 are now production items. The 9.0 is this year a custom order, in '08 also production. With it I sail DTL in 14mph wind, my wife freesails it in 11mph wind. The SuperFreaks are by far the best wave sails that my wife and I have ever sailed and they match perfectly with the original Aero. Unfortunatley i had to spend over $10k to come up with a set of big wave fins, although for weed wave fins the Wardog's seem to be excellent.
I am switching over to SOS boards and the SuperFreaks and custom fins are even better matched there.
Dolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 02:43 PM   #16
Per

Hi Dolf
Nice to hear from you again..
I checked the 9.0 Super Freak with the danish dealer. He could not get it (yet). Maybe 8.0 is actually enough for "light" wind wave (ish) sailing even at 100 kg sailor weight. I want to limit the boom to max 235 cm and no more than a 490 mast.