Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 16th March 2007, 09:21 PM   #1
jesenko

Default to keep speed up

What to do to keep speed up as much as possible during jibe on FF 168. I can jibe and I can exit the jibe with planning. I just feel that I loose speed to much during the jibe

thanks
jesenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2007, 11:11 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: to keep speed up

Hi jesenko,
Since you have a fairly wide board, and can plane into and out of your jibes, about the only thing left is for you to concentrate on the pitch trim angle of your board.
Windsurfing boards in general, and the wider ones with more modern flat at the back rockerlines in particular, are quite sensitive to the fore and aft (pitch) angle of attack (AOA).
Get the pitch AOA just right and they leap onto a plane almost effortlessly. Keep the pitch angle just right as you are planing, and the board will gather and sustain very good speeds because with the pitch angle set correctly these boards minimize the drag of the hull over and through the water.
So, when you go into your jibes, it's very critical that you maintian the same pitch AOA into and through your jibes.
You can test this theory on the water very quickly and easily.
Where you place your foot on the downwind side of your board to initiate your jibe has the greatest effect on the pitch AOA, so to test this, simply place your foot a little further forward and at the same place side to side (athwartships or roll angle here).
As you transfer your weight onto that foot to change the roll angle and initiate the jibe, if you've moved your foot too far forward, you can watch as the nose of our board "drops" and the board falls off plane because you have not maintained enough pitch angle for it to continue planing freely. The board sort of "trips" over the rocker transition (where the more curved upward sections forward become flat at the front of the rear planing surfaces).
If you move your foot too far back, you get the opposite pitch "mis trim", but the same overall result as the nose will "pop up" and you will have too much pitch angle to sustain planing and the board will slow down quickly.
So, the secret to keeping your board planing fast through your jibes is to determine where (fore and aft) along the rail that you need to place your rear foot (after removing it from the rear upwind footstrap) to roll your board into the jibe without affecting the fore and aft (pitch) AOA.
Give this a try and I think you will quickly see that getting that foot placed correctly keeps your board planing.
I've suggested to some sailors that they put a small sticker or pad on the board so once they determine where the "sweet spot" is (to avoid the nose dropping or popping up) you have a visual and tactile (if you don't wear booties) indicator as to where the pressure needs to be applied. You could also put a small tape "arrow" along the rail.
Also, try to "roll" your board into the initiation phase of the jibe rather than "stomping or stuffing" it into the jibe.
A smooth transition from going straight ahead to "banking" into the jibe helps alot to keep your speed up.
Hope this helps.
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2007, 02:05 AM   #3
jesenko

Thanks

When you said "roll the board”, it means push with back and lift front lag ?

BTW what is water temp on the sound side.

jesenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2007, 03:04 AM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi jesenko,
Yes, on a wider board I have found that in order to "roll the board" with the best control, it's a good idea to leave the front foot in the strap, shift your back foot over near the rail on the lee side on the "sweet spot" and then kinda "tilt your whole body by pulling up with the front foot in the front footstrap on the upwind (outside radius of the jibe)as you push down at the same rate with the back foot on the lee side (inside radius of the jibe).
This rolls or "banks" the board into the jibe, but does not upset the fore and aft trim.
And, I don't know about the temp of the water in the sounds behind Cape Hatteras as I'm currently in Panama City Beach, FL, down on the Gulf.
I'll be back up in Hatteras next week.
Hope this helps,
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote