Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 1st March 2007, 05:53 AM   #1
Huub

Default iSonic 101 & 87: Question about the difference in the scope rocker lines

Hello there,

I am Hubert from the Netherlands. A happy owner of an iSonic 101.

My question is:
Why do the iSonic 101 and iSonic 87 have pretty different scope/rocker lines?... What was the reasoning behind this?

For example the 87 has a flatter scoop/rocker line compared to the 101. The 87 has no tail rocker whilst the 101 does.

I am just guessing but is the 101 scope/rocker line 'newer' than the scoop/rocker line of the smaller iSonics?..

In other words could we expect the same scoop/rocker characteristics of the 101 to progress to the smaller iSonics?..

thanks...
Huub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 04:55 PM   #2
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Default RE: iSonic 101 & 87: Question about the difference in the scope rocker lines

Hi Huub,

it's a good question - one that could have a very long answer.

When you consider the planing surface area outline of the iS87, it is (relatively) long and narrow width, the iS101 (relatively) wide and short.
So the most effective and efficent combination of rocker profile is different for both outlines ; in the case of the iS101 some minor tail lift helps to free the (wider) board up onto the tail at speed a little more than a dead flat tail rocker, also the character in the jibe is improved 9quite important on wide tailed slaloms).

It's not so much that one rocker is old or new ; it is what works best in combination with the many other factors in consideration (and test) for a specific board/design when something like this is coming together.

If the new smaller iSonics were to be wider and shorter planing surface, (itself a question of function before fashion) then it stands to reason some small amount of rocker would be added to the tail, especially when the size of these boards would dictate more useage in high wind, powered and choppy conditions.

Hope this makes sense, please let us know if you want more info.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 03:57 AM   #3
Huub

Default RE: iSonic 101 & 87: Question about the difference in the scope rocker lines

Thanks Ian.

I won´t ask you the obvious question about the changes to the smaller Isonics for the 2008 line-up.... It is a bit too early for that.

But I do have another question related to the 101. Could you please tell us what you know about how Antoine rides the 101?

What do you know about the following:
• Position of the foot straps
• mast foot position (in cms from the back)
• what fin(s) does he use

thanks...
Old 9th March 2007, 05:44 AM   #4
Huub

Hi there Ian,

Still waiting to here from you.

I would like to add to that list ->
What do you know about the typical sail sizes he uses on the 101 in combination with the wind strength. For example -> I could imagine he would be using a rs6 7.8 in 20-25 knots...etc..

thanks...
Old 3rd April 2007, 05:58 AM   #5
Huub

Ian,

I am still eagerly awaiting your reply.

Could you please tell us what know you about Antoine and how he sails the iSonic 101.

What do you know about the following:
• Position of the foot straps
• mast foot position (in cms from the back)
• what fin(s) does he use (the standard drakes?)
• typical sail sizes he uses incl. wind range

I can imagine I am not the only one who would be interested to know...

thanks,
Hubert
Old 3rd April 2007, 02:36 PM   #6
geo

Ian,

I am just curious about one more thing, if possible.
I read here that Huub measured a tail kick in the iS101 rocker line, and you have confirmed it is supposed to have a slight kick. I also read in the PlancheMag test issue that they measured 0 tail kick on the iS101. Maybe is that kick so subtle that it can be confused with a flat section, or does the iS101 have a double flat section, or could it be just a mistake, or else?
The other measurements seem to be correct, as they are consistent with a development of the classic S95 shape with slightly shorter flat section and lower nose.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote