Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 18th March 2007, 07:05 PM   #1
MichaelS

Default Severne Glide larger sizes?

Hi!

Are there any plans to extend the size range of the Glide next year? As a recreational surfer i would really like to get an 8.5 as lightwind sail for my FT148.

I know the present size was given by the challenge of the German "surf" magazine, but i also remember Tiesda posting something about a large version for the Apollo.

Michael
MichaelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2007, 04:24 PM   #2
MichaelS

Default RE: Severne Glide larger sizes?

Just pushing this one to the top again, as i'm still a potential buyer of a larger Glide.

Michael
Old 4th April 2007, 10:00 AM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Michael,
I don't have the answer about a larger Glide, but I had the 7.5 m2 out today and it's pretty awesome.
Wind was in the 7-11 knot range (maybe a bit more in the gusts) and the 7.5 m2 Glide easily got the Apollo going.
It's terrific on the Serenity as well, but I found out that if you really power up the Glide, and stand a ways back from the mast foot on the Serenity, you can achieve a speed where the bow wave moves back all the way to the handle (and they say the Serenity doesn't plane) but at some point you get going fast enough for the bow wave to move even further aft and all of a sudden the back of the board does something weird and just slows down a bit.
This is with a 36 cm Lessacher Design weed fin, so it may have been some dynamic between the fin and the board or maybe the front of the fin was starting to get up out of the water.
Anyway, at the same instant that the tip of the Serenity's tail goes under, the board begins to make a funny sound and slow down.
The big surprise of the day was the Glide on the Apollo.
Wait until the Glide 7.5 begins to load up using a fairly open sheeting angle and a little below a beam reach, and one big pump and the Apollo "launches". Then it accelerates, and you can stay going in quite a bit less wind. Goes upwind well, off the wind is a bit scary but very fast for the available windspeed.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2007, 03:41 AM   #4
MichaelS

Hi Roger,
Great to hear about your experience with the sail. Are you able to say anything about how it behaves in stronger winds?

I haven't read much about it since the test in the German "surf", and i was beginning to fear that it wouldn't be continued next year. Still hoping for a few words from the Severne team.

Michael

Old 7th April 2007, 11:35 PM   #5
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Michael,
No, I haven't had the Glide out in more than around 12 knots/Gusts to maybe 15.
I'm pretty sure that's not the "concept" of the Glide and other examples of the new "power sails".
I have a whole set of Sailworks Huckers and they provide the extra drive and lift in a similar manner to the Glide, but the largest Hucker is a 6.6 m2 and since the Huckers are more a bump and jump or high wind jumping in the the Gorge concept (unless you rig them with very high tension for slalom racing) the Glide "stands out" as a light wind sail, and it's built much lighter than the Huckers.
The largest 6.6 Hucker is almost comparable to my 7.5 m2 Retro, but I think the Glide 7.5 m2 has a bit better low wnd than the 7.5 Retro.
I'm interested in doing a head to head test of the 7.5 Retro vs the 7.5 Glide on a couple of different boards (the Apollo being one of them.
The Serenity does not compare here as it "operates" in a completely different mode and in far less windspeed.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote