Old 25th August 2006, 02:11 AM   #1
knatte

Default Isonic 87

Asked the same qustion in general forum. But maybe this is the correct forum fot this issue ?
Hi!
I have ordered one Isonic 87, but i have no really information about this board. I have seen no picture and heard nothing about bottom design
Can somebody give me some info about this and what is the main difference to it's predecessor Sonic 85 ?
knatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2006, 10:22 PM   #2
knatte

Default RE: Isonic 87

Nobody, who knews anything about this boards??
Old 26th August 2006, 11:03 PM   #3
scotty

It's the weekend, everyone is off windsurfing!! B)

Anyway Knatte, you can make a review for it when you get it as I'd like one too! I'd also want a smaller version, but 50 just sounds a bit too small!! I fit could work as a general high wind speed back and forth board, I'd go for it though!!

scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 07:46 AM   #4
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Knatte,

Sorry to be late on that one, we have been testing and away from internet the last 48 hrs.

iS87 is very much a fine tuned evolution of the Sonic 85; so no big suprises and no big concaves : the macro view is a board similar to S85 but with verified improvement edge over the predecessor. Background to this is the S85 was a very proven board, itself a very long and proven eveolution of previous versions. 87 has a common major rockerline with S85, slight refinement in the front entry , the nose has been changed for top end control and the back end now includes better trim potential at top speed with small (mini Formula style) underside cutaways and the iS style tail section.
The fin we changed the layups (again) and so is also an upgrade on S85.

Hope this answers your questions, but please let us know if you would like more info or details etc.

Cheers ~ Ian

Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 04:38 PM   #5
knatte

Thanks for information Ian
Is there some picture of bottom shape availible. A picture tells moore that words..
Old 1st September 2006, 05:15 PM   #6
geo

Hi Ian,

I would like to have the same kind of info about the shape differences between Sonic 95 and iSonic 94; and what about weight/construction?

Would it make sense to change my new Sonic 95 with an iSonic 94 (same use range, TR-2 6.6 and 7.6)? And which is the reason for changing the supplied fin size from 32 to 34: different board bottom shape, or more emphasis on slightly lower wind range? In my experience, I have been satisfactorily using 30 and 32 (depending on wind strength) SL2 with the 6.6 and 34 with the 7.6, which is practically at top of sail size range of my Sonic 95.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2006, 10:11 AM   #7
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Knatte + Geo,

We don't have an iS87 right now in Pattaya, we do have an iS94 but as Iwent to take some photos, I find it's been taken back to Taco today (we have the worldwide conference going on this week).

I agree the picture = 1000 words, easier for me but the pictures (other than shown on the product page) don't really show the fine details (v etc).

(I'm counting on the fact you already clicked on each board shown on the main iS page
http://www.star-board.com/viewpage.php?page_id=31#
to get the bigger picture /image)

For the 2007 (iS87/94) we have the same overall bottom shape in the tail section, no underside cutaways (in these sizes and iS50) but we do have the new side tail cuts, which noticeably increase the release and give the rider the ability to drive the board a bit more from the fin, reason for 34 cm in iS94 is that we feel a 34 is a more suitable (general/average) "large" fin (performance) size for this board, considering the (typical) use and allowing for the fact that most riders will prefer to have a good 34 and a clean choice to (their own prefernce) 30/32 (etc).

Construction in these models is overall similar to 2006 - yes, there are some production (process) upgrades (eg : Technore strip reinforements around nose ding areas etc). tolerance tightened on bottom finish etc, new straps are now Slickstrap II, fins are different layup for 2007.

Let me know if you need more info etc .

Cheers ~ Ian
Old 2nd September 2006, 10:12 AM   #8
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Knatte + Geo,

We don't have an iS87 right now in Pattaya, we do have an iS94 but as Iwent to take some photos, I find it's been taken back to Taco today (we have the worldwide conference going on this week).

I agree the picture = 1000 words, easier for me but the pictures (other than shown on the product page) don't really show the fine details (v etc).

(I'm counting on the fact you already clicked on each board shown on the main iS page
http://www.star-board.com/viewpage.php?page_id=31#
to get the bigger picture /image)

For the 2007 (iS87/94) we have the same overall bottom shape in the tail section, (thinner tail cross section on 94) no underside cutaways (in these sizes and iS50) but we do have the new side tail cuts, which noticeably increase the release and give the rider the ability to drive the board a bit more from the fin, reason for 34 cm in iS94 is that we feel a 34 is a more suitable (general/average) "large" fin (performance) size for this board, considering the (typical) use and allowing for the fact that most riders will prefer to have a good 34 and a clean choice to (their own prefernce) 30/32 (etc).

Construction in these models is overall similar to 2006 - yes, there are some production (process) upgrades (eg : Technore strip reinforements around nose ding areas etc). tolerance tightened on bottom finish etc, new straps are now Slickstrap II, fins are different layup for 2007.

Let me know if you need more info etc .

Cheers ~ Ian