Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 16th April 2007, 08:11 AM   #1
Maximus

Default Top Speed of Isonic 87?

Hey all

Would like to know if anyone is sailing the Isonic 87 with a GPS? if so what sort of times are you getting? Info like Rider weight, sail size and approx wind speed would be handy. Currently have H111 and looking for a Med to high wind fast slalom machine to compliment.

Cheers
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2007, 02:23 PM   #2
geo

Default RE: Top Speed of Isonic 87?

Hi Maximus,

just check the site:
http://www.gps-speedsurfing.com
and you will get all the info you need.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2007, 05:26 AM   #3
mark h

Hi Maximus
Heres a link to the GPS-Speedsurfing.com top iS87 speed. Keep hearing good things about the iS87 so I'm thinking of changing my 05 Sonic 90 for one as I'm stuck on 37 knots. Got new fins which I hav'nt tried as yet to see if this helps.

http://www.gps-speedsurfing.com/gps.asp?mnu=user&val=14898&uid=1636

Cheers

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2007, 07:57 AM   #4
Maximus

Hi mark

Great information, looks like the I87 is quick. I founf the Sonic 95 a little to boxy, and I hear the I87 is slightly flatter in the deck. Has anyone here sailedopne, if so what are your impresssions?

Cheers
Old 19th April 2007, 09:07 PM   #5
sailquik
Speed Demon

I have one and really like it. Top speed so far at 38 knots in 25 knots of wind. I am sure I can crack 40 on it and I am only 74 K. I sailed the older sonic 100 and 95 and found them a bit big and boxy for my size but I love the feel of the iS87
Old 24th April 2007, 06:51 AM   #6
hans kleingeld

Send a message via MSN to hans kleingeld

Hi Maximus,

According to Martin van Meurs the top speed of this board is over 80 km/h. However he is leading the topspeed of the GPS-speedsurfing ranglist at the moment.

My specs:
-1.79, 90 kg, iS87 with RS6 6.2 and Chameleon 24. Wind gusting up to 25 Kts+. I made a max run of 67 km/h and 250 mtr in 65 km/h. The potential of this board is much more however. On flat water the acceleration is supurb. Control in small and or chaotic chop is less, but in large chop very good. This year, after having had only one session with the board I want to chase for some higher speedrecords. Only some fins may be helpfull to assist board and sail!
hans kleingeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2007, 09:30 AM   #7
Maximus

Hi Hans

How do you find thew I87 and 6.2 combo? Am considering getting a Rs6 6.2 to go with this board. I will be sailing it on a lake, so to hear it handles large chop well is great!

Thanks for the replies
Old 24th April 2007, 07:12 PM   #8
hans kleingeld

Send a message via MSN to hans kleingeld

Maximus,

The 6.2 is a great combination with the I87. It feels very nice and is very fast. The IS87 is very good at flatwater conditions. I never used it in large chop, but I heard that in well organised larger chop the board feels very happy. With small and chaotic chop the board feels direct and you have to work more. Maybe for relaxed surfing another board would be better then.

Hans
hans kleingeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 07:12 AM   #9
Chris Pressler

The board has wide sailrange. Sailed on a 5.0 and 6.6. Both felt great and I believ that the max. speed limit is quite high. 80 sounds realistic to me. In my opinion the Isonic 87 can be accelerated in less wind already and stays in control in overpower, too. Just grab a bit smaller fin (28cm) in stronger winds. Also in choppy conditions the board felt easy, but wild.
Post your topspeed time by time.

Chris

Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote