Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 20th April 2007, 04:22 AM   #1
j3r03n

Default Chop killer

Hi Guys,

I would like to call upon your expert opinion, hope you will grant me the favour ;-)

For the days with more wind I'm looking to compliment my current ISonic135; I'm looking for a board with a sweetspot around 6.5 and it should be able to cope with chop well. The lake I surf provides us with significant chop: short, steep, high.

I would surf the new board with NS Daytona's. I'm 184 tall and weigh 93kgs.

Which board would you recommend?
Thx!
j3r03n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2007, 12:21 AM   #2
DaveQ

Default RE: Chop killer

Sounds like you are looking at either an S-Type 93 or 104. I have sailed both at my 180cm, 71 kg, and both are great boards for your conditions. The 93 is obviously better for my weight, but you may like the 104 better.

If you want a more turney and manouverable board so you may want a crossover board like the Kombat. Depends on what kind of sailing you want to do in that chop.

DaveQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2007, 12:21 AM   #3
DaveQ

Sounds like you are looking at either an S-Type 93 or 104. I have sailed both at my 180cm, 71 kg, and both are great boards for your conditions. The 93 is obviously better for my weight, but you may like the 104 better.

If you want a more turney and manouverable board so you may want a crossover board like the Kombat. Depends on what kind of sailing you want to do in that chop.

DaveQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2007, 12:58 AM   #4
j3r03n

Thx Dave!

It's speed I want to get over the chop, but not without control...
I appreciate your suggestion, but doesn't have the S-type less scoop then the IS..so therefore at speed more difficult to control over the chop?
Old 27th April 2007, 03:17 PM   #5
j3r03n

And in addition- the "old" Sonic100, would this be a good alternative or not really taken into account the above?
Old 28th April 2007, 06:17 AM   #6
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi j3,

The ST differs also in V disribution and rail profile to the iS and these factors make a significant difference to how the board/s compare in chop. ST93 will work VERY well in your conditions EXCEPT you need to be a really committed rider to get the most from ST93 in choppy, powered 6.5 conditions. And you will be at the upper sail size limit for this combo for sure. Sweetspot for ST93/93kg is around 5.8m. When in the groove on short lake or similar chop, not much will touch a 90kg rider fully lit on a good 6.5m with ST93. Many will find it easier than a full on slalom board in these conditions, but it is not the "easy ride" many prefer.

Nor would be the old Sonic100, which has a somewhat more safe front end but also a flatter, harder underwater profile, which make dealing with chop a little harsher than the more V'd ST.

You could also throw the iS101 into the discussion - not exactly the dream chop "easy rider" board either - but a better option than the S100. iS101 is a very versatile ride in this range (especially for heavier riders in powered 6.5m conditions) - and definitely provides more bottom end range (and thus crossover range to iS135) - but again does require commitment from the rider (in style/technique) to keep the rig pressure (full) on in rough chop to get the most.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 06:17 PM   #7
AlexWind

As an "non professional" report, I got a ST 93 and I find it superb and fast in choppy conditions.
I'm 182 72 Kg, as previously said maybe the 104 is better for you..
AlexWind is offline   Reply With Quote