Old 24th April 2007, 06:56 AM   #1
hans kleingeld

Send a message via MSN to hans kleingeld
Default Suitable fins with iS87

Hi,

I'm happy owner of an iS87, but looking around for fins which are really the right match with the board. I heard the stock fin a drake slalom pro 32 fits very well with the board.

I will surf the board with a RS6 5.4 and 6.2.

If I go for the drake pro fins. I guess the 28 and 32 cm are the best options? Or are their other options which are worth trying.

Cheers, Hans
hans kleingeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2007, 05:30 PM   #2
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Default RE: Suitable fins with iS87

Hi Hans,

I am using 34, 32 and 30cm on it, but I am 90 kgs. The other option is the Deboichet SL2 in the same size, but not the same price, but you increase really your performances.

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2007, 08:46 PM   #3
ThierryP

Hi Hans!

I am 75 to 78 kgs. I use my 2006 Sonic 85 (very close to iSonic 87) with a Goldwing 28 cm: absolutely beautiful on all points of sail.

Thierry
ThierryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2007, 05:34 AM   #4
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Hans,

Knowing your weight is close to Remi and I , I think the Goldwing 28 feels very sweet but actually it's a little small in many cases (except genuine downwind flatwater speed) - and certainly its a combo I'm not using any more. For general use, having a little extra lift helps trim the iS87 more optimally.

For specific hi speed, hi load work, rather than all round open water sailing, the better option is to take a stiffer fin such as SL2 rather than the more allround "medium" of the stock Drake Pro (which is a good allround option but not my choice for hi speed/load).
Ask MvM to loan you one like Z30, you will see.
Just don't grind the bottom for him!

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2007, 06:48 AM   #5
Chris Pressler

Hi Hans,
with the 5.4 th e28 works great. Had The Drake one 28 in my Isonic 87 using a 5.0 sail. Go for fins from 28 to 34 in the moment, all Drake. Went with 6,6 on a 34 or 32. Depends if I race in a Slalomrace or speedcompetition or for fun.

Enjoy th ewonderful board,
Chris

Chris Pressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 12:56 AM   #6
ned_321

Hi Hans,

The stock 32 cm drake is OK for the 6.2 (you know I also have that size). It gives a lot of lift for its length. Probably due to relatively wide tip. For a 6.2 sail a 30 cm fin is too small, the board sticks and remains too low in the water.

For the 5.4 you can try 30 cm, maybe even 28. But I think 28 is too small.
ned_321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 02:01 AM   #7
Phill104

I actually found the stock 32 a little too big with my Tush 6.4 X15 and found a 30cm select speed far better (I'm 85kg ish depending on beer consumption)

I'm awaiting to have a go with a Tectonics F1 falcon that I have on order if the wind finally returns to the UK. From what I hear the F! is great for downiwind speed while the Tectonics Goldwing is better for general slalom or cross wind use.

What I find odd about some of the responses is that many people say get a 30 or a 28cm fin or a 30cm is too small. There are a lot of features in the design of a fin that make choosing purely by one measurement pointless. The overall area, shape and chord can all have a huge effect on lift and a huge effect on it's use. It can make a substantial difference to the overall personality of a board.

On top of that, rider style can make a big difference. I myself often use a fin smaller than many in the group I sail with.

Given all these points it's amazing we ever get it right. Trial, error and experience are what tells us what works, and then experience goes totally out of the window when something out of the box comes along such as Lessacher fins.

All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 07:09 AM   #8
Jesper Orth

Hi Hans

The stock Drake fin for the 87 is OK. If you want to "step" up in the performance, then there are a few options.

My option is the Vector Fins Maui G-10 Rockit 32. I tried a lot of fins for high wind slalom and this is the most slippery and controllable fin I can find. For even more control, I would recommend the Vector G-10 Canfire 32. When ever I go smaller than 32 (for slalom) I loose a bit of control and the board starts to tail ride. The 32 hold the nose of the board down to the water.

For speed/ downwind you can probably go for a 30cm.

Jesper
Jesper Orth is offline   Reply With Quote