Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 23rd January 2007, 12:05 AM   #1

Default Footstrap broken screw

Hi all,
Does anybody help me with ideas in how can I remove a broken screw of the fron footstrap of my Formula 160?
The broken part that is inside the footstrap insert doesn??t have any part outside that we can pull it off.
Will I have to destroy it with a drill?
Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2007, 06:39 AM   #2
steveC

Default RE: Footstrap broken screw

An important direction to enterain would be a new insert. Of course, you must resolve your current problem by removal, but a new foundation will resolve everything. If you're happy with a single position, you can establish a two position attachment that will be fairly bulletproof for the future. The plastic stuff that you're faced with now, especially if the remaining screw component is impossible to remove, may very well be history. Still no problem, particularly if you follow restorative instructions and procedures as available in the following website.

http://www.boardlady.com/index.htm

Really, it's good stuff to know, and pretty simple to accomplish with a minimum of tools. I like working with composite materials, especially since a lot of trick stuff can be done with these materials that no one is leveraging off of. Imaginative ideas can really take off if you take advantage of opportunities. A great resourse base for more than just windsurfing or surfing stuff.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2007, 06:56 AM   #3

Default RE: broken screw

I have broken screws numerous times on my straps - I must jam and twist in them too much.

When I haven't been able to remove the screw, I have drilled a small hole right alongside the broken screw, and reinserted a new screw, so that that screw is half threaded against the old screw, and the plug.

Advantage of this is that you retain your footstrap position, and it is a quick fix! Never had any problems after doing this, and a couple of more years riding with the board.

Be careful!!! not to drill beyond the depth of the plug, or you'll have created a watersucker!!

kiwi evo rider
Old 6th February 2007, 07:39 PM   #4

Default RE: footstrap screw

Hi there,

what i do when i break them is to drill a tiny pilot hole in the old screw, then i screw in a larger stainless steel self tapping screw- at somepoint this should totally seize up. Then i use pliers to unscrew it- because it seizes in teh new hole it takes the broken footstrap screw with it.
Be careful drilling though! good luck.