Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 18th December 2010, 05:59 PM   #1
Unregistered

Unhappy What happened to this Forum ?????

Few years ago this Forum was full of argument;advice; comments ;banter and BS . Its hardly visited these days.Posts stay unanswered for ages;usage must be down to 30% of what it was ??

Cant be as beneficial to SB;whatever was changed needs changing back again. Pretty boring now.
Yes some folk were argumentitive and occasionally insulting but it was interesting and got people thinking aabout SB ????

Bring back LeeD !!!???? (There was a time when the string "LeeD" would not have got onto posts !!! Those were the days !!!)
Old 19th December 2010, 03:51 PM   #2
Unregistered

Cool

This post been here two days;still top of list;60 views and no replies !!! Sort of confirms comment !!!

Certainly not as popular as it used to be ??? WS; SB or Forum in decline ????
Old 19th December 2010, 05:08 PM   #3
Unregistered

Does not confirm anything. If you take a look at the number of views on threads, you'll see the forum is just as popular as every.

Most readers/contributers of the SB formum have grown up now and moved onto bigger and better things, got bored of the LeeD's of this world. Thats why all the LeeD's buggered off. The forums are a better place without them.
Old 19th December 2010, 06:08 PM   #4
Unregistered

Cool No way

Dont think so;just see how long it takes for posts to work their way down listings.
And much as LeeD could be outdspoken he was (is ?) an experienced sailor and his views (along with everybodies) worth at least reading even if you disagree with them. Thats why its called a Forum !!!

Its obvious Forum is not as popular as it was ;which is a shame. Its just so predictable now.
Old 19th December 2010, 07:58 PM   #5
Ola_H
TEAM

I do think there are less people on the forum than a few years ago, but there are still many discussions and many people asking for advice on particular boards so I think it still serves it's purpose.

But maybe it's not so interesting for people to discuss the "meta question" on why this is so. The internet world is simply very complex and dynamic. People move around.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 12:58 AM   #6
nakaniko

pheraphs is simply winter (in the northern emisphere), so someone is going on the snow with snowboards like me
nakaniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 04:37 AM   #7
Unregistered

Exclamation

Could be but comments along lines from Joe Windsurfer certainly dont help.
Old 20th December 2010, 05:30 AM   #8
Del Carpenter

Though I generally enjoyed LeeD's point of view, I prefer the results of the current forum system. If the 80/20 rule of thumb applies, Starboard and the rest of us might be better off with the current fewer posts which have more content (fewer negative remarks).
Del Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 11:52 PM   #9
Farlo

Other WS forums seem much less active from what I've seen. Here there is a good mix of technical questions and general topics, and it's not only focused on SB products. A bit of controversial spirit is not a bad thing. Maybe people do not react as fast because they got tired of always the same arguments. Take the hype associated with the launch of new models. Who really cares now? It will last one month.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 03:05 AM   #10
Philip

Equipment wears out and can be damaged so the latest on new models is something I like to keep across - although I have to say that sails prove to be more fragile than boards. In any event it is the tips on sailing techniques that are often contained in the posts which I find so useful.

One thing I have trouble getting across is the definition of a slalom board - I know that they are built for fast sailing preferably with cambered sails (a good package for sure on those terms alone) possibly on a figure of 8 with down/upwind work. Yet they are not exactly the same as say a water ski slalom or snow ski slalom (perhaps giant slalom) with their continuous flowing kind of turning. None of the manufacturers adequately define the slalom board - it is one of those assumed things that seems to leave a lot of sailors scratching their heads and buying the gear on the assumption that all will be revealed.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote