Old 24th December 2010, 02:49 AM   #1
htugun

Question Buying a used Futura 111

Hi there,
I am considering buying a used (almost new- used like 2 times) 2010 wood-carbon Futura 111. It seems like a very good deal given the lowered price and I always wanted to get my hands on a Futura- it'd be like driving a BMW M3!

The only detail bothering me is that the owner says that the board had a "pin-hole" sized damage at the front bottom (next to tiki) that was repaired professionally (I am yet to see the board in person)... I am guessing that's why the nice price as well, but otherwise the board looks and feels brand new.

My questions are:1- Would that pinhole damage give me lots of headaches in the future? Would it affect the performance of the board? I doubt it but I want to ask anyway...
2- I weigh approx 160 lbs... I am thinking of using this board as my light-wind board. Would it feel right with a 7.5 freerace (2-cam) sail?

Thanks much!
Hazim
htugun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2010, 07:32 AM   #2
COACHG

Easy enough to check out if the board still leaks. Put it in a cool dark place and close the vent screw, then place the board in the sun. Wipe soapy water over the repair and look for bubbles. Next, bring a scale and weigh yourself, then pick up the board and weigh yourself again. The difference is the board weight. If the board weighs far more then it should, it has water inside.

Coachg
COACHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2010, 09:06 AM   #3
htugun

Those are good tips. I'll see if the owner would let me check these things out.
Any comments on the 7.5 sail matching the 111?
htugun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2010, 01:13 PM   #4
jasmin

Smile htdg

hi,
i have Futura 111 09 and I am very happy with it, fast, controled and easy to run.
With my 87 kg I drive with 8.0 Overdrive and 44 Debouchet like a bullet, you Will be happy with that board on everything from 5.5 to even 8.5, don't be affraid to try bigger sails.

Jasmin, Croatia
jasmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 04:27 PM   #5
agrelon

Dude, I got my Futura 93l on the same great deal! The guy had damaged the nose, got it professionally repaired and then sold it off for a 1/3 of the original price.

So far the nose still looks like new and the board is amazing, as this little weekend edit demonstrates:

http://vimeo.com/18204561

Get it and enjoy