Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 5th February 2011, 06:36 PM   #1
angusp

Default hypersonic repair

hi, i just bought a pair of old boards - a hypersonic and a go, c.2004 i believe, and both needing a bit of tlc...
any epoxy filler/adhesive i specifically cannot use on the boards?
also, the foam on the go looks ok but is old and deteriorating/corrupting and leaves blue marks/foam dust everywhere. is there something i can spray it with to stop it deteroriating/rubbing off?
thanks
angus
(i'd buy a new board but there are no windsurf shops here in the UAE!)

Last edited by angusp; 5th February 2011 at 06:51 PM.
angusp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 04:20 AM   #2
Philip

A good place to start is the Repair Guide under Product Assistance through the Products button on the menu at the top of the screen. I buy my marine grade epoxy and fibre glass matt at the local sailing shop and the wet & dry sand papers, files, masking tape etc at the local hardware shop. Use a small can of 'best match' spray-on car paint to complete the job. Use disposable 'rubber' gloves when working this stuff.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 08:05 AM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Angusp,
If you tell us the serial number or the year model and size of your Starboard GO, there is a slight possibilty that they have a complete new EVA foam deck, all cut out and ready to glue on.
If so, you would simply need to scrape....sand your old EVA deck off the skin of the board, clean
the surface under the deck pad, and then apply the glue and position the new EVA.
The new deck pad would be available by special request from Starboard HQ in Thailand.
The EVA does degrade after a while in the sun. Best thing you can do is get good aluminized
board bags and keep your boards out of the intense UAE sunlight as much as possible.
The serial number could be gone if it was on the deck pad, but check up under the nose of the
board. quite a few GO and Start boards had the number stamped just behind the nose on the
bottom side.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 01:15 AM   #4
angusp

thanks roger. i was really just hoping for a quick fix if there is one?? - something i can maybe spray on to halt the foam degrading / rubbing off further. a year or two's more use and hopefully i'll be able to source a new board out here where i live. any ideas gratefully received. many thanks, angus
angusp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 07:34 AM   #5
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi angusp.
You might try to find some 303 protectant.
I've seen some pretty miraculous results when you liberally soak rubber or foam products
with 303.
Makes the foam "bulk up" almost like original.
Not sure it will work on EVA foam, but it might be worth a try.
Roger
Or check online and see if there are any products specifically designed to restore EVA foam.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote