Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 24th February 2011, 01:31 PM   #1
fibrespar all carbon boom

Default What tape should i use to fix the grip?

Hi there,
I have a new boom with a few tears in the grip. A friend told me I should tape it up so my question is what kind of tape should I use? Im thinking electrical but is ther a better solution?

Thanks.
Old 24th February 2011, 03:20 PM   #2
Farlo

Electrical tape is a good solution at least. I've been using it for years. Not too visible and doesn't slip. If the tears are too deep, fill-in some soft gum before applying the tape. Two turns will be OK. If it is in the holding area, cut-finish outside down so you won't remove it when sailing.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 11:33 PM   #3
Ken

The electrical tape I am familiar with is black, with a slick surface and never sticks very well. Duct tape (comes in black) is stronger, more sticky and has a little texture. If the tape where you normally place your hands, it will eventually come off.

Gluing the boom rubber back on with a contact cement will work well too. It just takes some care and time to keep it off the surface that your hands will be on and to let it dry sufficiently before sticking the surfaces together.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 04:50 PM   #4
Farlo

If the grip is not cut off, then neoprene glue will fix it. However if the damage is where you hold the wishbone, the tears will most probably reopen. Add two turns of (wide) electrical tape. It will normally stick on itself and resist to water quite well. Turn outside down and it should not move. I tend to tear off the grip with my right hand but since I repaired it this way it stayed for years. Black tape always better on black grip, as Ken suggests.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote