Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 3rd February 2007, 07:52 PM   #1
Benjamin

Default Wood or D-Ram?

I would like to know the differenceS between a wood an a D-Ram?
I want to buy an s-type 115. Not a big one, and not for competition!
Feehling? Performances? I heard that the wood is more confortable when the water is not very flat...
Does somebody can give me more informations?
Keep on touch
Benjamin
Benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2007, 08:25 PM   #2
geo

Default RE: Wood or D-Ram?

Personally, last season I bought a Sonic 95 (wood, of course) and an Evo 83 D-RAM.
I must say the wood construction has an unique feel. It is light (maybe not the lightest) and one perceives a good stiffness when sailing, but it has the ability to damp vibrations due to chop and ripples. I guess that a good full carbon construction could be lighter and even a bit stiffer, but at an higher price and (probably) lesser durability. The idea to use a thicker material (wood) for the outer laminate, using geometric charcteristics instead of mechanical ones, seems to me indeed a good solution.
On the other side, D-RAM feels really tough (Dur-X) but a bit heavy in absolute. Good for wave or bump and jump, if you don't have pro requirements.
For an S-type, I'd go with wood.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2007, 01:59 AM   #3
-Lampi-

Send a message via MSN to -Lampi-

There are quite a few differences between wood and D-RAM. Wood looks better and it's lighter, but it also costs more. Both of these constructions are pretty strong - the d-ram is a bit stronger than wood when your mast chrashes into the nose of your board, but i find the wood to be stronger when you land a jump too flat or when you over-rotate a forward. But when it comes down to reparing the boards, D-ram is easier to repair in terms of looks, because you just spray on the paint. Matching the wood colour can be quite a difficult thing to do.
In the end, it all comes down to personal prefference - decide on what is important to you. If it was me, i'd pick wood.
As far as i know, with an s-type you CAN'T go wrong
Old 5th February 2007, 06:34 AM   #4
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme

I've been happy with my DRAM iSonic 105, but I will admit riding Roger's Wood iS101 felt different. It felt more solid... much less vibration. It was a 4.8 day for me and the wood was much more solid. I'm still happy with my purchase, but I might choose a wood when I need to replace this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2007, 02:32 PM   #5
geo

I see that the difference between S-type 115 wood and D-RAM is just 0,5 kg. This means that, considering the usual +/_5% tolerance, there could even be overlap between the weights of the two versions. Therefore I have to change my advise. Ideally, I'd choose a wood. But if I could check weights of a few boards before purchasing, then a light D-RAM would be much interesting.
Probably in the end the real trade off is in money vs. that peculiar "vibration damping stiffness".
geo is offline   Reply With Quote