Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 22nd March 2011, 04:04 PM   #1
Kombat Tufskin 122 2008

Default slow Starboard Kombat Tufskin 122 2008

Hi there,
I bought a starboard Knombat Tufskin 122 2008 a couple of months ago, but found it to be very slow. It has the supplied drake fin and is in good condition. I use sailis of around 4.5 to 5 in about 10 to 25 knots of wind. While not being too bad in the wind, it is extremely slow in anything under 20. My friend has a 210 litre starboard start and with a 4.5 metre sail goes twice as fast as i do. My brother has a 1998 bic veloce and with a similar sized sail also goes much faster than me. I know it isnt my sailing because when i try other boards i go much faster.
Is there a reason for my board being slow?
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:16 PM   #2
mark h

Hi,
The 08 Kombat had a lot of tail rocker and tuck in the rails to give an easier ride, but it was at the expense of early planing and top-end speed. Despite this, it should be much faster than the bigger and heavier Starboard start 210. The narrower and faster bottom shape off the Bic Veloce will be much faster than the K122.

Have you got the foot-straps outboard? If not, try it as you can drive of the fin and get the board to rise more out of the water.

Also, I think the standard Drake fin was 36/38cm. The F122 has a pretty wide tail OFO. The standard fin will be ok in 20k plus winds, but it will be way to small (for a big board) in lighter winds. I would say that this is the reason you going slower in light winds. A bigger fin around 42cm will make a huge difference.

I bet your mates Start 210 has a bigger fin than your F122, and the Veloce might have a similar or slightly smaller size fin than you, but the Veloce has a smaller OFO size so it probably has more fin drive ratio (if you see what I mean).

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mark h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 10:06 AM   #3
Unregistered

Default Starboard Kombat

Thanks for the advice.
My foot straps are quite far foward so ill change that and ill get a bigger fin.
Just another question: Do I need a centrefin box adapter because at the moment theres this box where my centreboard used to go when learning, but now i dont need the centreboard.