Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 12th February 2007, 01:05 AM   #1
utthita

Default what makes a board turn

When looking at a board, I often cannot predict how it will sail and turn.

Newer models have less rocker, more speed, less fin sweep, etc.

Rear concave and sharp rail give grip on a carve.
Narrower tails help somehow, maybe at higher speed, rail to rail.
Tail rocker should make a banked board turn on the rail if one keeps enough front foot pressure
Tail kick enables turning more off the rear foot.
Sharp rear rail changing to softer rail forward can help somehow esp. on this rear foot action.
A flexible swept fin with cutout becomes a curved hydrodynamic surface that can help turning.
The better a board sails off the wave, the worse it turns on the wave?

I recently tested the '07 JP FSW93 and it actually turns. It also is a very good board to get on more waves in light wind conditions. I am still concerned about its less than radical bottom turning. It has no tail rocker, no tail kick and a big mostly unswept fin. Rear rails are sharp and thin. All of the other FSW boards I have tried, including JP from previous years, gave me no action on bottom turns. Why does it turn as well as it does without any rocker?

My Evo 83 works with a 5.3 on a wide range of waves. Having a hard time finding a ~95 liter that I like, a floater that planes easily, is soft in the water and turns radically. Has anybody found the limits of the next bigger Evo?

Conditions are near ideal, sideoff P. S. Carlos Baja, a bit light on the inside and strong on the bigger waves, slow waves mostly smooth.

Wish I had brought the E83 to Cape Town this season, since the inside can also be light and getting out past the breaks without a lot of power can sometimes be a challenge.
utthita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 01:22 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Default RE: what makes a board turn

I think its a bit difficult to explain why a board turns. At least its a bit to complicated for me to explain on this forum. But a simplified exaplanation is that it has to do both with rocker and outline curvature. If you check out your FSW with a long ruler, you will find it actually has a kind of gradual curve in the rear half of the board too. You can also check with the ruler closer to the rail since sometimes the v and concave profile makes the curve different close to the rail than at the "central spine". The bottom rturn in generalla quite drawn out and you don't need a lot of curve to get good action here.

Good turning is also a matter of all details of hte board coming together and working in unison for you in the turn. Maybe your current JP is just more refined in this aspect than your old one. I know the Starboard Kombat fsw boards is an extremely good bottom turner.

What makes these fsw-type boards with their flatter rockers differ from the more heavily curved EVO is that the EVO will be much easier to adjust the turning radius on. This is mostly notiecable when you try to "shorten" you bottom turn in the middle of the turn to go more vertical towards the lip. EVOs do that almost without the sailor asking for it while fsw boards takes a combination of power and technique to do it effectively. And if waves are not so powerful and sail drive is not there either, the flatter rockered boards will typically loose speed when you push them around lika that and that is why EVOs can stay so effective on the wave without having super fast rocker curves like the fsw boards.

If you want EVO performance in lighter wind than you think the 83 handles, I would look at the EVO 91 (or 07 90). Despite being big, it still turns almost as good as the smaller boards and the character of the turn is more or less the same (more similar to the 74 than the 83 though, but thats on a nitty-gritty level). To be more exact, the big EVO does on a slower wave what a smaller does on a bigger wave. The 91 is not so much more effective than the 83 when it comes to early planing(with sails up to 5.7), but it is more effective with bigger sails and of course also floatier. Due to a curvier outline if has a bit less high speed drive than the 83 but on the other hand its extremely surfy. I had quite a lot of fun on my 91 and rode it up to 2m waves (light wind) but at my 70 kilos I can as well use the 80/83 also in light wind (just loose a tad of schlogging comfort). But if you're heavier the 91 will definitely be a nice adition to your quiver. Or put differently, if you like the 83 as an allrounder, the 91 will be the perfect light wind companion.

Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 04:34 PM   #3
utthita

Default RE: thanks very much for your time and answer

I was just about to rephrase my question to make it less work for you. A great response! I am heavier (79 kg) and probably taller and often do use 6m sails on waves in conditions where there are usu. only surfers or very skilled light wind purists. I have found that the 83 does not work well for me with a 5.8, though it might with a bigger fin or different sailor.

The FSW behaves almost exactly as you indicate, and experience with the E83 or a last generation rockered wave board makes it possible for me to tell.

Thanks again
utthita is offline   Reply With Quote