Old 12th May 2011, 03:35 AM   #1
rikys2

Default Severne super light

Any comments about this sail ??????
rikys2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 08:55 AM   #2
Teddy

Join the club. They introduce this stuff, like the RIO XL, and then provide just about ZERO follow up, just a generic blurb about how great it is. We are expected to shell out hundreds and hundreds of dollars to buy something just to try it!
I can't think of another sport or hobby where one needs to just blindly buy a product to try it.
Gee, I wonder why windsurfing is becoming so unpopular.
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 07:24 PM   #3
nonopr

What is it that you want to know about the Severne Super light??
The user friendly SUPer Light 6.5 sail at only 1.8kg is probably the lightest, yet most powerful foil ever designed in windsurfing. The light, short batten, high clew orientation is easy for uphauling and great for classic freestyle moves. With 40 years of simplification the sail provides that extra glide, especially in light winds, creating a certain stoke rarely seen in recent years.

This light wind specific sail is set to instill a sense of nostalgia amongst the more established windsurfer and a hassle free alternative to the paddling SUPer. It's light, maneuverable, non-rigging specific and is the perfect retro freestyle tool bringing color back to the water.

The SUPer Light has been built around non-planing fun although its application is not confined to any category and can be used from light wind freestyle to wave riding your SUP. It benefits from the ease of packing, where it can be packed into a small duffel bag without the risk of damaging the sail.

It can be rigged with an old or new 430cm or 460cm mast. The boom length is 195-200cm. 195cm for more power, 200cm for more control. SUPer Light - SUPer Fun.

2011 SUPer Light 5.5 5.5 430 cm 180 cm
2011 SUPer Light 6.5 6.5 460 cm 220 cm

What else can you say it is a 40 year old design used originaly by the Windsurfer Boards at the beggining of the windsurfing craze. Simple and easy to rig.

Last edited by nonopr; 22nd May 2011 at 07:36 PM.
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 09:39 AM   #4
Teddy

This isexactly what I'm talking about. I've read that same press release at least 100 times. This is the description Severne has posted about this sail.
We'd like to hear from someone who has actually used the sail multiple times in different conditions. Lord help us!
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 06:14 PM   #5
nonopr

Teddy:
There is not much to say about this sail. It is a 40 year old design used by the original windsurfer. It is a no planning shape that just give you power to ride a long board, SUP or a classic board like the 12'6 SUPer.
It is basicly a sail that you can rig in any mast as lng as you have the correct lenght.
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 01:11 PM   #6
pierrec45

Default I agree - no info.

This sail is a bit special, and in light of the lack of info, there is a lot of info to share indeed. (And copy-pasting the brochure doesn't add to the conversation.)

Here's my unsollicited experience. For a number of outings, I used this sail in lighter winds, mostly on a SB SUP 12', for teach, trying it myself, etc. It is the 6.5m version.

But couldn't get it to work. Problem was 2-fold (no pun), Firstly it would show real ugly creases, like huge lines, from certain parts of the sleeve to the clew. Second and more important, an ugly part of the fat head would collapse, like really, onto the sail under tension or strong wind. That was really disgraceful. Thought I had a dod.

Tried different masts, and different people to rig it, just it case it was me.

FINALLY, I had it to work, and real well too, this very weekend. Trick was: quite loose bottom and clew. About simple as that - mast was a 460, a 25 I believe. I've never tried this before, sounded impossible, but it worked about perfectly.

First, in lighter winds - I was teaching someone. Was a bit baggy, but nice, as if baggy by design. Teaching went well due to light winds.

Then the wind picked up to 16 knots and I tried the rig. I just couldn't believe it. The top part didn't fold, and was handling quite OK on a reach, and super on a broad-reach. I was planing a 12' 6" with that sail !!!

Now of course this is not a performance sail, it's meant to be light and rig up quickly. And that it does.

So my apologies to Mr. Severne for a couple of swear words over the last year...

BTW: no, this is not the same 'Dacron' as the old Windsurfers, and it doesn't rig like one at all - no analogy there. The old Windsurfers were tight sails - you had to pull real hard for them to perform. The bagginess not the same at all from the tri sails nor the old fat heads.
pierrec45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 08:03 PM   #7
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Hi Pierre,

What 460 mast did you use ?

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote