Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 12th September 2011, 06:15 PM   #1
Wordmaster

Default Sunglasses for windsurfing

Hey guys,

I saw an ad of windsurfing sunglasses the other day, and I was wondering whether they're worth it. They look pretty big and tight, and they have a strap behind, so they're not supposed to fall down.

Sometimes I'd really like to have sunglasses on, 'cause the sun can be pretty bright, and I keep squinching. But I also fall from the board pretty often, so I think those sunglasses will be full of water, and I will have to adjust them to wipe my eyes every time.

Can anyone please share their experience of windsurfing in any eyewear?
Thanks in advance.
Wordmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 07:14 PM   #2
Farlo

Hi Wordmaster, standard sunglasses with a flexible plastic frame will do the job very well. Of course they will take water on but after a while you get used to it. A simple strap is not enough as you may loose everything during a catapult. It happened to me a few times and was not always fun as I'm a bit shortsighted. Now I'm adding a lash around my neck and to the strap. Occasionally I lost one lens when hitting the sail, but got both replaced for 30 bucks.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 12:26 AM   #3
Ken

I have always worn sunglasses and now prescription sunglasses. I have a strap around the back of my head and the strap runs through a tubular float about 1.5 cm in diameter. If I do lose the glasses, they will float.

I also wear a hat (or helmet) with a chin strap that goes over the glasses strap, which helps keep the glasses on in a fall.

Some will say that I look un-cool, but I am attempting to manage skin cancer and eye damage as best I can.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 03:55 AM   #4
fataux

Hi Wordmaster, i (and many other friends of mine) use seaspecs for more than 3 years and not any problem such as lost a lens, broke or lose. But after some time you need to clean the lens. I also see that oakley had one also but they stop production this year (may be because it is really expensive, and lack of demand) but the oakley one has a solution which glide the water from the lens (don't know if it works but i have a snow google from oakley and they produce first class lens, so i conclude that it will work) but the problem is will it worth the price difference

i try to add a video link but as its my first post starboard don't let me post the link, sorry
fataux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 04:35 AM   #5
Unregistered

yeah - i wear prescription glasses too
put a cord around the back o me head with a hangman's noose to allow adjustment
AND as Ken or someone said - ya donut wanna lose em
i use a fisherman's bopper and gets comments all the time
BUTT have not lost a pair YET
and yeah - they get wet and need cleaning = DUHH
Old 13th September 2011, 02:29 PM   #6
Farlo

Cool

A bathing cap may improve your look greatly. Most of the time I use a very thin black one, kind of Lycra. Apart from protecting my skin it has two advantages: 1) no drag so it can't be twisted or torn by gusts, 2) almost unnoticeable as my remaining hair is black, so from the beach I even look ten years younger.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 09:41 AM   #7
Del Carpenter

My opthamologist told me that if I live long enough (most people do) I'll be thankful I protected the quality of my vision by wearing sunglasses whenever I'm in sunshine. If I squint at all when I'm outside I put on sunglasses. My Solar Shield sunglasses (about $20 US in a store like KMart) are large enough to be worn over my regular glasses and they wrap-around so they provide some side protection too. I tie a long loop of string to the bows and keep them attached by putting the top snap of the my life jacket through the loop.

When I get a new pair of regular glasses the old pair becomes the pair I wear on the water under sunglasses. So I'm not risking my most up-to-date glasses when I windsurf; I'm not paying the extra expense of prescription sunglasses; and the combination of Solar Shield sunglasses over my older glasses gives me protection & clear-enough vision.
Del Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 12:30 PM   #8
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Wordmaster,

I use glasses since 1986 to do windsurf and the best I find until now are this ones :

http://www.kite-tek.com/demetz-squee...QUEELAQUAG.cfm

Don't tied them too much and they protect you from water in eyes + of course from the sun.

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 01:40 PM   #9
Kato

A gath helmet with a tinted visor does a pretty good job too. Stops sunburn and a few head injuries too
Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 08:10 PM   #10
nakaniko

I use a type of sunglesses for watersports, produced by Tribord-Decathlon and sold cheap at about 30 euro, they have an integrated but amovable back neck strap and velcro adjustment. I suppose they are a copy from a famous Oakley model.
I find very important as with strong light I had in the past side effects, I think also because not drinking properly before windsurfing and so during some stops, so I started see all white and blinking. Now when there is sun I always wear sunglasses in windsurf sessions, and drink a lot before during and after. Imho
nakaniko is offline   Reply With Quote