Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 20th October 2011, 02:09 PM   #1
costazzz

Default hwr mast track possition

hi...witch possition is the best to put the mast track in different wind speed and sail sizes...!!i use severne reflex1 12m2 and reflex2 11m2!!
costazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 11:28 AM   #2
SeanAUS120
Dream Team Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SeanAUS120

Costazzz, it depends a little bit on what fin you have. The best performance upwind/downwind on the HWR is when you get nose lifting as much as possible; you can do this with a really powerful lifting fin, or by running the mast track as far back as possible. I am normally running my track so far at the back the plate covers the serial number, then just moving it forward as the wind increases to have better control.

If you have a powerful fin already and with the track all the way back the board feels a little bit 'sluggish' (like it's getting stuck on the swells) then try the track halfway between the back and middle ;-)
Old 23rd October 2011, 10:19 PM   #3
costazzz

i have a hurrice frb7 and i use it as an all around fin!i felt all ready this think that you said (like it's getting stuck on the swells) thats why i do this question! I felt that with my 12m2 sail in 14 knots!!the problem is that the wind speed at the location that i use to windsurfing is never the same with a lot of gasts so i am trying to find the different positions in different winds speed and sizes of sails!!it is a bit crazy and i fill like never will be correct in my choise!!when you change the sail from 11m2 too 12 the theory sais tha i must put the mast track a bit frond from the position of 11m2.!!what you think......?????
Old 23rd October 2011, 10:27 PM   #4
costazzz

I have an hurrice frb7 and i use it as an all around fin!i felt all ready this think that you said (like it's getting stuck on the swells) thats why i do this question! I felt that with my 12m2 sail in 14 knots!!the problem is that the wind speed at the location that i use to windsurfing is never the same with a lot of gasts so i am trying to find the different positions in different winds speed and sizes of sails!!it is a bit crazy and i fill like never will be correct in my choise!!when you change the sail from 11m2 too 12 the theory sais tha i must put the mast track a bit frond from the position of 11m2.!!what you think......?????
Old 26th October 2011, 05:20 AM   #5
SeanAUS120
Dream Team Member

"Getting stuck on the swells" - is this happening when you go across the waves on one tack or when you go straight in to them (depending on the wind direction I guess). It's fairly common on this board to get the sensation of being a little stuck on the swells as you go across them; I would keep the mast track all the way in the back on both the 11 and the 12 to combat this and get the nose lifting.

I don't know too much about the FRB7 fin from Otmar but I assume it's pretty powerful? What rake do you have the fin at?
Old 26th October 2011, 03:53 PM   #6
costazzz

the rake of frb7 is 4.5 degree....i am trying to be used of sailing about 3cm back from the middle of the mast track!!that means that the plate of the base(base of the rig) is covering the beggining of the mast track!!
Old 26th October 2011, 03:54 PM   #7
costazzz

thank you very much for your time Sean....
Old 27th October 2011, 03:20 AM   #8
SeanAUS120
Dream Team Member

OK, that rake sounds good. I was thinking that if you had it much more vertical (around 3 degrees), that can push the nose of the board down quite a bit. Once you get used to having the track that far back I think you will like it ... let me know how it goes ;-)
Old 9th November 2011, 01:41 PM   #9
costazzz

Default hwr mast track possition

Hi Sean... i start to be used on putting the mast track all the way back and i have so match more power!!i am smiling...thank you very much!!the board is just great..fast with controle with both sails 11m2 and 12m2...!!i would like to ask some things about reflex system of severne sails...can you help me with this or to inform me how can i get answers to my questions....??
Thank you very much for everything!!!

Last edited by costazzz; 9th November 2011 at 01:43 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 17th November 2011, 01:10 AM   #10
SeanAUS120
Dream Team Member

Good to hear costazzz!

Unfortunately I can't be too much help on the Reflex system as I've never tried the Severne sails... Remi or Steve should catch this post soon and he can give you all you need to know ;-)

If nobody does, I would start a new thread with your questions on this forum.