Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 26th March 2007, 09:08 PM   #1
Daniel B

Default Q - Isonics & Jibes

hi,
Last year I bought an Isonic 115 ( I use it with V8 8 mts )
Really nice board.
Could you please tell me the right Jibing technique for Isonics ? I am not able to make the planning jibe consistently.
I tried serveral ways, weight backward, forward, laydown, more upright, switch soon, late, etc.

Thanks in advance !
Daniel
Daniel B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2007, 08:59 PM   #2
Daniel B

Default RE: Q - Isonics & Jibes

Back to the top !
Old 30th March 2007, 11:08 PM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Daniel,
Speed is your best friend here.
Are you going scary fast on your reaches?
If so, jibing will be easy if you figure out how to keep your board trimmed (fore and aft) at the same angle or attitude into and through your jibe.
If you move too far forward, the nose drops and your speed drops.
If you stay too far back, the nose pops up and your speed drops.
So, anything you can do to maintain speed will help alot in yoiur jibes.
The Isonics are quite sensitive to pitch (fore and aft) angle of attack (AOA) so yo must find the sweet spot to place youir foot on the lee side as you change the boards "roll angle" to initiate your jibe.
Again, get the foot a little too far forward, the nose drops because your weight is too far forward and you've changed the pitch AOA.
Get that foot in the right place, steadily and progressively add weight to it so the board changes roll angle smoothly and you won't loose much speed.
Also, if you are not really powered up and going scary fast, forget about "over sheeting" on the entry to your jibe.
Yes, oversheeting kinda "draws you in" to your jibe, but it also slows you down. Unless you have "speed to burn" anything that slows your board tends to spoil your jibe.
If you keep a little power on as you enter your jibe, and unsheet your sail in a manner that keeps a little power on (to keep feeding mast foot pressure to keep the nose from popping up suddenly), your board will roll into the jibe and you will have a little "pull" from the rig all the way until you are ready to flip the sail.
Keep carving with the board at the same pitch AOA, flip your sail without upsetting the the AOA or the roll trim that's taking you around the jibe, and you will power up on the new tack.
Flipping the sail as early as possible is good.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2007, 03:46 AM   #4
Daniel B

Roger
thanks for your help !
few questions ...
where do you place your backfoot to begin the carve ?
And during the flipping, should I release the sail, or push it ? ( considering the size of 8 m )
Thanks again !!
Old 31st March 2007, 05:54 AM   #5
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Daniel,
Where to place your foot is very much an individual thing.
Some of the variables that make it so "individual: are:
Your weight.
Mast foot positon you prefer.
Your stance.
The size and weight of your rig.
It's not a bad idea, when you get a few fully planing carve jibes on your board, to put a piece of tape or something on the rail of your board so you have a "visual" on where the lee rail pressure needs to be applied. This will be approximately at your individual "sweet spot".
If your jibe works well, take a quick look and see where your foot is relative to the tape marker.
If you don't plane through your jibe, take a quick look (when you're sure it's hopless) at where your foot is relaive to the mark. Then you can move your foot a little forward or aft to compensate on your next jibe.
After a bunch of jibes, you will develop a "muscle memory" and no longer need the marker.
If you have jibed smaller boards with softer rails successfully before, you probably are going a little too far forward.
Smaller boards with softer rails require you to "engage" alot of rail to complete your jibe. On the Isonic and other short. planing flat at the back, boards, this normally results in your applying your weight forward of the sweet spot, and your nose drops, which effectively
flattens oout your AOA to the point the board "trips" over the rocker transition at the front of the planing surface.
I'm pretty sure I go just slightly ahead of 1/2 way between the front and rear footstraps, but I'll need to take the Is 122 out this weekend and double check on where the "sweet spot" is for me on that board.
Your "sweet spot" may be slightly different.
If you "release" your sail, without getting the mast upwind so the rig balances pretty well on the mast foot, you will most likely be filipping a bit late.
I think it''s better to bring the rig up a little past vertical (where it balances on the mast foot and will "spin" to the other tack very easily)
and the pull with the front hand and push a little with the back so the rig rotates quickly. Then catch the mast or the front of the boom on the new tack, and drop down a little as you begin to power up on the other tack.
Lot's of ways to do this..... none of them is all that much better than the others, it's (again) an individual thing that you need to figure out for yourself on your board with your rig. It can vary a bit with boards and different size rigs, but you'll get the hang of it pretty soon.
Try to get your board carving around the jibe first, then work on timing the sail flip, then work on footwork. Break your jibe up into a few "stages" so you can work on getting each of them right, then getting the timing right so that your jibe just "flows".
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote