Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 28th March 2007, 10:12 PM   #1
SteveM

Default Hypersonic 105

Hi,
I hope you can advise me - I can get a Hypersonic 105 for a good price, and I`ve read all the tests and marketing stuff on it on the net that I could find. Although it sounds promising, most windsurfers I`ve spoken to have a good laugh when they see one, and refer to it as a "plakkie" (local word for a hang-ten style pair of open footwear.)
My goals with it would be flat water blasting from 12-20knots, occasionally stronger winds up to 25. I`d also like to use it in the open ocean if I get brave enough, for sailing long distances on those rare on-shore wind days where you can cruise outside the breakers for a very long distance at high speed.
It must be able to get me back to shore in any circumstance : If the wind switches to offshore, or drops or picks up, I`d like to know I can get back to where I started even if I`m a long way off the beach. If I have this kind of faith in a board I would venture out a bit further than at present. Upwind performance is a must, as well as being able to get back in non-planing conditions.
Oh yes, I`m 75kg.
I have a tiny budget and would sail it right now with only a 6,6sqm Gaastra Nitro5 sail, but would look at a bigger sail later on. Any idea on the windrange with this combination ?
I have a Thommen Small Salom and a 4.7 sail for when it`s windy, so I won`t be using the "plakkie" in over 20knots unless I`m caught out in it.

Appreciate any feedback,
Regards
SteveM
Cape Town
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 10:48 PM   #2
SpeedChaser

Default RE: Hypersonic 105

I'm no team member, but I can offer some insight in this case.

I've owned my Hyper 105L for 2 years now, and I have to admit I love it. I almost got rid of it this season but decided it just wasn't worth spending the extra money for a new board, yet, when I am so happy with what I have.

I use it with a 7.6 and a 6.6, both cambered sails. I use the 7.6 in 12-18knots, and the 6.6 in 15-22 knots.

Although some people have preconceived ideas about the Hyper and it's strange and unique design, the fact is I'm faster than them on the water and I coast by them in the lulls when they're schloging.

Have no worries, the Hyper 105 will perform and impress you, and should be great for the conditions you mention.
SpeedChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 12:41 AM   #3
Randy

I've had the H105 for nearly 3 years now and have sailed more than any board I have ever owned. Its been my "go to" board! The performance you describe should certainly be possible. The H105 points very well. My only concern is that at 75kg, it is not going to have much additional flotation. I weigh 60 kg, and its very easy to uphual if need be. You might check the math (add board, sail, mast, sailor, etc weights) to see if it has enough float. I would imagine you could still uphaul it, but if you can try it before buying, by all means do so. It seems that this was one board that lots of sailors didn't particularly like. I'm just guessing, but I think lighter sailors like it a whole lot better, since they get more early planning capability than a heavier sailor. For a bigger guy, I think its low volume makes it require a lot more wind to plane.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 01:31 PM   #4
Philip

Mine is the HS 111. SpeedChaser and Randy are spot on. HS points well when up to speed (but don't over fin the board in the hope of getting more pointing). Its a technical board to sail and just does not want to stop; definitely not plug and play. After several seasons I am just coming to terms with its great performance - by 22 knots I am just about done. Similar sail quiver as SpeedChaser.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 03:50 PM   #5
geo

Hi Steve M,

no team member either, sorry... but maybe contribution from us average sailors can be even more useful.

I've had a 105 and a 111. I must admit that I didn't like the feel of both boards: the HS needs a totally committed power on style, while I'm rather the "glide" speedsailing type. After a few sessions I put the mast foot well back and raised the boom because the board just didn't go with a more relaxed stance; once set in a racey way, it performed. I think it could be the fastest board I owned, expecially the 105 (just impressions - don't ask me why or how much). Once on a plane, it just goes and keeps going. It likes to go upwind, or you can make it fly on a broad reach; but it is a pain to keep it on a beam reach. It also gives you the impression there are no lulls at all, even if you see other people sailing start/stop... Not an early planer IMHO (85 kgs. and using a race 7.5), I guess all that underwater shape adds a lot of drag at low speed; but once on the plane, it just does not stop. My impression is that it is not much fin sensible, so don't think you can substantially change its attitude by switching fins; I used it with those odd wide square Drake designs stock with the 105, tiny slalom Spitfire 31 and the Drake/Curtis 34 and 42 stock with the 111, but didn't noticed the differences that one may expect from such different designs on a classic slalom board. Jibing is a pain, period. The 111 is somewhat more well mannered than the 105. Both boards handled chop incredibly well and could be tamed easily in high winds; I had the impression that high wind behaviour was even better than that of my tiny RRD Avantslalom 278 (84 lts...); but the fun wasn't there, at least for me.
In the end I returned to traditional slalom design (Sonic 95), but I have to admit that both HS were extremely fast, pointed extremely high and never stopped. A very good solution to save light days, and a very good, or maybe perfect, fit for the needs you stated.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 08:05 PM   #6
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme

I just had an experience racing against a Hypersonic 105. The sailor was 188 cm, 86 kg. He doesn't use his H105 very often, but pulled it out for a race this past weekend. He came in 3rd for the day. He was very consistent in all heats (except when he broke his outhaul). He had 4 2nds, a 6th and a 3rd. Winds were from 17-22 knots, I would guess.

I have seen him sail it before but we never really did any comparison.

On my iSonic 105, I was faster than him all around, but it wasn't by much. Only once did I get in a position to pass him ... he managed to pinch me upwind. I was gaining on him, but couldn't go high enough to continue the maneuver.

He jumped on my iSonic 105 after the race was over. He described it as scary fast. I could tell he was markedly faster on the iSonic than on the HyperSonic. I could also tell he was holding back, so who knows how fast he could have been on the iSonic.

In lighter winds, he does remark that his Hypersonic isn't floaty enough for him to feel comfortable using it much. He switches to a higher flotation board instead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 09:06 PM   #7
SteveM

Thanks for the opinions guys, very useful information. Ok I called an owner of a Hypersonic 111 for his opinion, and he wants to sell it, so I have a choice between the 105 and the 111. I`m seeing the 111 tonight, I believe it`s in better condition than the 105. I`ve heard that the 111 has more nose rocker than the 105 and handles chop better, and is a better board in general, is this the case ? It would in any case have more float which might suit me better, but I still want it to be able to handle up to 22knots.
Geo, your insights have made me lean towards the 111 for now.

Thanks again,
STeve
Old 29th March 2007, 09:23 PM   #8
geo

SteveM,

yes that's right, the 111 has got some more nose rocker compared to the 105. On the water, the main differences I found are: 1) 111 is somewhat easier to handle, less "stiff" directionally and easier to head on a beam reach; and 2) slightly easier to jibe. I found no big differences in floating, probably due to the lower nose on the 105 that makes a larger part of the board to contribute to buoyancy most times. I don't remember any difference in handling chop, except for the fact that the 111 keeps its nose higher and may seem safer; but actually both handled chop pretty well when sailed in the right way, which is: full throttle all of the time, and don't look down. Rather, the slightly higher nose made the 111 a better schlogger, in the sense that it tended less easily to sink its nose. As to sheer performances, I can't tell exactly, but I would not be surprised to understand that the 105 has an edge in planing and top speed.

Generally speaking, I found the 111 somewhat a more well rounded board compared to the rather "thoroughbred" character of the 105. Nothing really important to base a decision upon, anyhow; I'd rather look at other points such as general conditions and price.

Oh, just another point to think about: take a look at the fins; the 111's Drake/Curtis stock fins can be used on other slalom boards also, while those 105's odd square Drake stock fins are totally useless on other boards. So if the 111 comes with both its stock fins (34 and 42) in good shape, that is something to take into account. This can be a real point in deciding.
Old 30th March 2007, 05:30 AM   #9
SteveM

Hi Geo,
Thanks for those insights, I have seen the 111, loaded it on the car, and it is now mine. The best news is I didn`t have to pay for it, the owner wants a higher price than the 105, but he needs some design work done on his house and that is my trade, so we have arranged a trade-off of my service for the board ! It has both the Drake fins, just have to sand the rough edges off the bottom where they have been grounded.
I`ll hopefully get to sail it between now and Sunday.

Thanks all for the feedback, it is really good to get such valuable input on an older board. I`m just curious as to why Starboard did not continue this board or develop that line of thinking further, as a lot of their marketing material I found on the net implies that this is "the future" of slalom board design, yet it has been discontinued ?
Old 30th March 2007, 05:49 AM   #10
geo

SteveM,

I'm glad for your nice deal!

I think Ian Fox has a clear explanation as for why the Hypersonic line was stopped; well, perhaps we could say that it somewhat evolved into the moddern wide hull iSonic line. Personally, I think that it did not have much of the classic "slalom feel" but rather it is/was a great sporty high performance board, only a bit too much "sporty" and requiring. Many would not like it, a few would just love it, in the end it isn't for everybody.
Don't worry, learn how to tame it and you will find it perfectly suits the needs you stated in your first post, probably better than any other board would.