Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 28th March 2007, 11:51 PM   #1
hjjd

Default Kombat Aero 117 or 127?

Hello All,

I'm looking at buying a Kombat Aero, and I'd like to ask some advice on which size to buy, if I could?
I currently own a 2006 Acid 80 and a 2006 JP Real World Wave 91, and I'm now looking to update my light wind board (currently a 2003 JP Freestyle 103) with something a little larger - I used to use that board with a 02 JP Wave 84, but now I have two wave boards, I want to spread the range a bit. The Kombat Aero sounds like my ideal solution.
My weight varies around the 90-93kg mark, I'm 6'4", and am a reasonably competant sailor after 12yrs or so, although certainly no star!! Living where I do (Bristol, UK) I sail a lot of different spots. I like to sail DTL waves when I can, but end up with a lot of onshore days. Also sail flat water and get quite a few bump and jump days.
I'm looking for the Kombat to allow me to ride waves more easily in light winds, which is something I currently struggle with (I don't like the JP Freestyle in anthing except tiny waves as it's too flat). I also want the board to get me planing in light wind flat water days too, and help me learn new stuff on a stable platform - which is why I'm thinking about the 127 maybe.
Any advice would be much appreciated!
hjjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 06:42 PM   #2
Duracell

Default RE: Kombat Aero 117 or 127?

flat water, light wind, early planing, your weight == don't go for KA 1x7 just get an ST in that range (volumne NOT WIDTH!) (I'm quite sure you'll otherwise regret having gotten a KA). KA in waves okay, KA NOT crossover!!!
Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 09:48 PM   #3
hjjd

Thanks Duracell, I suppose it's a design impossibility for a board to do both to any serious degree.
I did look at the ST, but I really want to be able to use the board on wobble-out wave days, and I'm guessing that the ST will not work at all in waves...
Does the KA117 have no light wind freeride performance at all? Is the early planing REALLY bad?
My Freestyle 103 has very good early planing performance for its size, better than some larger boards I've tried in fact (e.g. 05 & 06 Synchro 105 & 115), but it's ultimately quite a bit smaller than the KA117. So even if the KA was similar, or hopefully planed slightly earlier, that would be OK for me although I know it's never going to be as fast and early to plane as an ST.
Wish I could buy both!!
hjjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2007, 02:17 AM   #4
Duracell

You might be surprised to find out how nice the ST can be in waves. Having said that: I usually use waves only to either gybe'em, pop'em, or ride them out and then gybe'em, so I'm not the expert wave sailor (I don't do the zig zag in and out of a wave so can't tell how well ST would work for that kind of application).
Old 1st April 2007, 03:25 AM   #5
Per

Hi HJJD..
I have both an S-type (115) and an Aero (127). The Aero was the predecessor of the KA, so maybe I can share some of my personal observations of the two (kind of) boards.

Planing: The Aero is 10 cm wider and 12 litres bigger than the ST, but it will only plane in like 1 to 2 knots less wind with the same sail size.
The acceleration of the ST is superior.
Anyway the ST will only carry a 7.5 as max and the AE can carry a 9.0, this will make a difference.

Speed: the ST is way superior..

Pointing: my ST with a 37 fin points better than AE even with a 44 fin (probably due to the better speed of the ST)

Jibing: the Aero is VERY good on this point, but the boards are difficult to compare due to difference in size and speed. ST jibes well.

Wave sailing in light everyday conditions, the AE is just better than the ST. This is what it's made for. It will forgive any mistakes and you can really throw it around. When the wind is up the ST can be quite fun in everyday waves too, but it's very aggressive.

Jumping: both are excellent...

Just my personal opinion..
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2007, 11:43 PM   #6
Duracell

Just keep in mind, Per is talking about a A117 not a KA117 so he's translating his experiences on the one (A1x7) to the other (KA1x7) which I must say is a big mistake: I had the A117 and was very happy (early planing, fast, true crossover capabilities). KA117/KA127 were COMPLETELY different than the A117 and had none of the above qualities.
Yes the specs say you can put 9.0 on the KAs but they aren't cross overs so if you don't have huge waves you can ride down you might as well forget that line of thought. On this forum I have seen comments by others that seem to confirm my findings in the KAs (when compared to the As).
Test the KA thouroghly BEFORE buying otherwise you could ver well end up trading it in and losing money.
Old 2nd April 2007, 04:51 AM   #7
Ola_H
TEAM

Duracell: Did you sail the KA 117 or only the KA127?
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2007, 05:15 PM   #8
Duracell

both KA127 (already back to shop) and KA117 (about to go back to shop)
Just tryingf to figure out which board in current line up will be able to replace old A117 (which I sold buhuhu, then again, didn't trust it to make another season).
Old 2nd April 2007, 10:15 PM   #9
Per

Hi Duracell.
I have the AE 127, not 117 (and true, the AE is not completely the same design as KA, but based on the same idea. Maybe Starboard are into a bit too much experimenting with these kind of boards). Anyway, the question was also related to the ST which I find the best board ever made (I've had Carves and formulas too)..
The interesting question is whether the ST can replace the AE/KA in the bigger sizes???? Why shouldn't a ST126/137 be able to replace the AE/KA's on light wind wave riding ability if you put the straps in and throw it around??? It will kick its ass with the straps out for sure..

Anyway I think the AE more for manouvres and lazy waves rather than freeriding/cross over, so we kind of agree. But right it's probably not compareable to the KA, as I read your observations..
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2007, 02:54 PM   #10
Duracell

Hi Per,
Never said you had A117, just that you translate your A experience to KA and that just doesn't work.
ST115/126 might very well be a replacement, ST137 for sure not.

The original poster said something about differnet spots from waves to flat water. KA && FLATWARE == TOB (Time On Beach), even in the waves I was NOT happy with the KAs.

Just one further note:
the "specs" concerning widths, volumne and lenghts are "comparable" for one board famliy only (e.g. Carves OR S-Types). You just CAN'T compare KA127 specs with ST specs (like KA127 ~ ST137) AND make a "well informed" decision (unless you know both boards well enough ).

To address the original post: maybe a Carve might be an all in all better solution. Lightwind, flatwater and waves, sounds like a Carve to me (nowadays).