Old 30th March 2007, 03:52 AM   #1
Ken

Default iSonic

Roger or ?,

I have been thinking about an iSonic 111. I rarely slalom race, but want a fast, well jibing board with a broad wind range. I would use sails from 5.7 to 8.5.

The question is - Is the board strong enough for chop hopping? I don't get big air, at best getting the nose up one to two meters, and the tail within 1 meter of the water.

I weigh 80 kg and will be in fresh water.

Thanks,

Ken
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2007, 04:01 AM   #2
Phill104

Default RE: iSonic

I wouldn't use an iS for chop hoping. Even if you try it it is a pig to jump with the footstraps so far out.

For most other boards you have a very big sail range to expect it to cope with. I would go for an iS (if it's speed your into) as your big board (a 111 or 122 should do) and an stype (93 or 104) or kombat (97) to cope with 6.5 and under

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2007, 04:42 AM   #3
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme

Yes, you can chop hop, but as Phil suggests, it won't be enjoyable. I rarely bother to pop my iS105 out of the water. I would think that a 5.7 is going to be at the very edge for the 111. I put a 4.8 on my 105, but I'd rather be on a different board at that point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2007, 10:26 PM   #4
Ken

Thanks guys,

I didn't think of the wide strap placement issue, which would make jumping a bit tricky.

Basically, my first question had to do with the durability of the board, but I guess that isn't the issue any more.

I have a F160 and then I drop down to a HiFly 105 Move, with a big gap in the middle. I usually stay on my formula board until I can get on my 6.5 sail and the HiFly.

However, I am thinking about a board in the middle that I can use when the wind gets up to the 15 knot + range.

Our wind is pretty up and down, with lots of holes. A wider board is desirable on those days. A typical 10 to 20 knot day for us will vary from 5 knots to to 22 knots.

I think the iSonic still may be the best board, just no chop hopping.

Ken
Old 30th March 2007, 11:44 PM   #5
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Ken,
Lot's of choices here.
It almost sounds like you want a fast Bumpa and Jump board.
That would be the Carve, S-Type or Kombat Aero lines.
I sailed the '07 Carve 122 the other day, and I must say I was favorably impressed.
This is the same board that Boards UK raved about and so did Planche Mag in France. But it's the actual board that WS mag (US) didn't give a very good test.
Not sure what went wrong there, but I did find that this board needs to be powered up, maybe a little more than previous Carve 121/123 designs, but once you get it rolling, it's quite fast, jibes like a dream, and would probably chop hop very nicely (didn't have that much chop the other day on a 5.6 m2 Sailworks Hucker at the Can. Hole in Hatteras).
So, you might want to add a Carve to your list, and the 122 would be about the size to compliment your formula board and your smaller boards.
The S-Type 115 fits very nicely here as well. It's maybe a little faster than the Carve and I've chop hopped the S-Types quite a bit and they take to it almost naturally. Jibing is pretty good as well.
The Kombat/Aero 117 is going to be a bit slower, and may not have the overall wind range (on the high end) as the S-Type and Carve, but for B&J conditions it could be good as well.
If you want fast, with good jibing, and the ability to handle chop hopping, the Carve 111/122 and the S-Type 115 are in my opinion the best choices.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2007, 12:15 AM   #6
steveC

Hi Ken,

Regarding chop hopping an iSonic, check out the latest Maui Sails video highlighting the performance of the TR-3. Kevin Pritchard looks to be having a great time popping his iSonic. While it's most likely an iS101, I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem with the iS111.

http://www.mauisails.com/index.php?what … amp;Q=high

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2007, 12:53 AM   #7
Phill104

Quote:
steveC wrote:
Hi Ken,

Regarding chop hopping an iSonic, check out the latest Maui Sails video highlighting the performance of the TR-3. Kevin Pritchard looks to be having a great time popping his iSonic. While it's most likely an iS101, I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem with the iS111.

http://www.mauisails.com/index.php?what … amp;Q=high
steveC,

It will hop but is not fun. In those videos we see a world champion poseing for the camera.

Have you sailed an iSonic? Fantastic boards, really fast, controlable and gybe really well. When you try to jump one you can feel it fighting you to stay down. I think it's this element of the design that gives it so much control in chop.

If you haven't tried one then beg, borrow or steal one. You'll love it.

All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2007, 01:40 AM   #8
Ken

SteveC,

Yes, I did watch the video, but I don't assume that I can pop the boards up like Phil & Kevin.

A couple of times, I got some pretty good air on my formula board too, but by accident.

Ken
Old 31st March 2007, 05:14 AM   #9
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme

The other weekend in FL, I was watching Antoine Albeau pop a formula board with its usual 70cm fin out of the water to clear the fin. Kind of wild to watch how easily he could do that with a 11-12.5m2 sail.

o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2007, 12:58 AM   #10
steveC

I posted the Maui Sails video because Kevin was clearly having a bit of fun chop hopping his iSonic, and I wanted to offer a different paradigm concerning slalom boards. Sometimes I think folks view slalom boards as all business and short on playful fun. While I wouldn't want to argue that slalom boards are closet jump and bump boards, especially considering their outboard strap placements, I find they're far more maneuverable and sporty than many folks give them credit for.

Most of my sailing is done in the ocean, and the water conditions can include sizeable standing wind swell and driving wind chop that can often combine to provide a very lively and challenging setup that ensures some aggressive airtime, especially if you're moving real fast. Although I wouldn't want to confuse this type of airtime with jumping out through incoming waves where one strives for absolute height and loft time, it can still result in some interesting trajectory and flight. I really enjoy this type of sailing, and I find slalom boards can do it with playful precision, control and speed. Getting comfortable in conditions like this really makes you a better sailor overall.

Of course, if one was slalom racing, its an important goal to avoid too much air to maximize speed. Yet, in some race setups (like the course setup in the surf at Sylt in 2006), the sailors have to adjust to an array of active water conditions that would require some jumping. Similarly, in a spot like Maui where sailing at speed outside the reef, you just can't avoid getting airtime in the mix.

In the end, I would hope that folks would be more open to considering a slalom board for a full range of conditions, even those normally reserved for other types of boards. I can't tell you how many folks I know deadended themselves in wave boards (they're all kiters now). I'm a strong advocate for slalom boards, and I wouldn't be without at least one in my quiver. Next time you go out on your slalom board, think lively and have some playful fun with it. The rewards are definitely there.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote