Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 2nd April 2007, 02:32 PM   #1
Team Roper

Default Roger - 110 Litre or 120 Litre for 5.6 & 6.6 Huckers?

Hi Roger,

I am requesting your valuable advice once again. I am 200lb intermediate / advanced sailor with 8.5 retro and GO 185. I am planning a purchase of Hucker's sizing 4.8, 5.6, & 6.6. I have a wave board of approx 90l with which i will use the 4.8, but i obviously need a board for the two larger huckers, as i do not want to use them on my GO185. So my questions:

1. Is jump from 8.5 Retro to 6.6 Hucker cool?

2. In board selection i'm thinking Kombat 107 with suggested sail range of 5.0 - 7.5. Or do you think i would be better off with the 117 as i am on the heavier side? The reason i ask, earlier this year I sailed a 5.8 Ezzy SE with a 96L JP Super Cross and felt the sail was a bit large for the 96 litre board.

Thanks for your time.
Team Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2007, 10:52 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Roger - 110 Litre or 120 Litre for 5.6 & 6.6 Huckers?

Hi Team Roper,
Ummmm.... I would guess that your "focus" with the 5.6 and 6.6 Huckers will be kind of all around sailing with a primary sub focus on Bump and Jump type sailing. Is this the case?
You might find the 6.6 Hucker works alot better than you think on your GO 185, but I agree, you need another board between the big GO and your 90 ltr wave board.
I haven't sailed either the Kombat 107 or the Kombat/Aero 117 so I can't answer your questions from first hand experience, but I think you are "in the ball park" with these boards.
If you are interested in going a bit faster, with less "pop" and a little less "bash and slash" either the Carve 111/122 or the S-Type 115 might suit your criteria as well.
Do you really plan to "wave sail" on this mid size board?
If B&J is you "thing", the Carve and the S-Type might do just as well and will provide you with a little more "speedy" performance.
Let me know on your conditions, wind speeds and precisely your focus and I'm sure we can refine your choices some more.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2007, 11:56 PM   #3
Team Roper

Yes you're
right, B&J sailing would be my objective, mainly lake and gorge sailing. No waves. perhaps carve is a better choice, i'm not a speed freak, therefore i think the s-type would be a bit much. Freeriding for fun chop hopping etc...
Old 6th April 2007, 01:43 AM   #4
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme

6.6 to 8.5 ... that seems like a pretty big jump, but you should try before buying another sail. I go from 6.6 Hucker to 8.0 Retro. I can hold down an 8.0 Retro in some pretty stiff winds, so I don't see a gap between my sails. For you, at 200 pounds, I would think you'd be using the 8.5 well into the wind range where I would be on a 6.6 -- I weigh 145 pounds. So, I guess the question would be... when can you start to use the 6.6? Is it powerful enough for you to use it in light enough winds?

I was using it in gusts to 25 mph and it was still controllable (just barely). I could have been using my 5.6 Hucker. I had the 6.6 rigged to the downhaul specification with just passed neutral outhaul on a Backbone 460.

Hopefully this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2007, 02:15 AM   #5
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Team Roper,
I pretty much agree with Bill B. (o2bnme) here.
8.5-6.6 is a pretty big gap, but you are a pretty big guy, and with some tuning (more downhaul especially) you could take nearly a meter "out" of your 8.5 m2 Retro and then the gap isn't so great.
So, if you are willing to come in to the beach and "retune" your big Retro a bit as the wind increases, you shold be fine.
I still think you might like the S-Type 126 alot, but the Carve 122 would be a really good choice as well.
It's going to take a little "adjustment" but if you do well on the 90 liter wave board.....no worries!
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2007, 01:09 AM   #6
Team Roper

Thanks for the info, i'll probably go with the Carve 122 and see how the gap in sales works.