Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 2nd April 2007, 05:20 PM   #1
Toni

Default Brand question

Sail for serious slalom racing, Severne Code Red or Gaastra Vapor?! I didn't try any of them so I can't decide!

Thank you!
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2007, 06:42 PM   #2
barks

Default RE: Brand question

Should make for an interesting debate...

I believe both are good sails, each with their shortcomings (like all sails I guess). Since you're asking the question I guess you're not a pro-level slalom pilot, so I believe microscopic (if they are there) differences in real speed between the sails won't be noticable to you.

Instead focus on the fact that many race sails have a very different "feel" between brands; for instance the NP RS-series are rumoured to be pretty hard-pulling/tractor like whereas Bary Spaniers designs tend to be very light in the hands. Such differences normally mean that the sails any given person might be faster with one or the other given personal preferences, size/weight, water state etc. A heavy rider might prefer more grunt/pull whereas a lighter riders might benefit from the light slippery feeling of a TR-series sail.

I think you should read as many user comments as possible about both sails, possible (best option) take a ride with each brand if you can borrow rigs and then make the decision based on what you feel most comfortable with.

As for the Code Red's I'm not the one to answer as I've never ridden a slalom one and only tested larger rigs; but I love my Vapors. They are relatively grunty (a big change since Barry's departure, Dan definately brought some Stealth heritage with him) and fit me (at 95kgs) really well.
barks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2007, 08:37 PM   #3

I'am same size as you 93-94 kg (191cm) and I like that pully feeling from sail. If you find any test result of Vapor (English), please sent me a link. I'am thinking to buy iSonic 122 and 9,0 7,6 6,5 Vapor.

Thanks
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2007, 09:20 PM   #4
barks

Haven't seen any tests of the 07 sails yet. Normally the manufacturers are pretty good at linking (at least the favorable..) tests from their websites when they are published in magazines.
barks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2007, 11:25 PM   #5
Ken

Check out the Maui Sails web site for some info. on their new TR-3's. I have three ordered in the large sizes, but the reports on the slalom sizes are excellent.

Ken
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2007, 11:55 PM   #6
geo

Reports about TR-3s are enthusiastic, be them from owners or from the PlancheMag test team.
I received my 6.3 and 7.0, just rigged the 7.0, not tested properly yet; but from what I see I would not change my 2 sails with 3 sizes of any competitor.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2007, 12:19 AM   #7
CarlosD

Send a message via MSN to CarlosD

Toni

I sail with 6.7 and 7.7 Code Reds and I had the chance of trying the new Vapor 2007 Slalom Sails (Ross Williams -gaastra top team member- was in Buenos Aires with his new sails)
Both sails exels in performance and are much lighter in your hands than North WS or NP RS6. with similar top end speeds but broader range.
I like more Code Reds because of some details:
1- Slightly softer feeling without sacrifying speed and acceleration
2- shorter booms for same size
3- perfect cam rotation (after tuning cams)
4- adaptability to older masts (Vapor smaller sizes require RDM new masts as recommended by gaastra)

I hope this will help you take a desicion

Regards

Carlos

The motors:
Slalom: Code red 8.8 NP RSR 7.8/6.7 evo/6.2 evo NP RS6 5.4
Wave: NP zone 4.4 North Ice 4.7/5.3

The rider: Age 48 (yeah, I know, so old, but still on form)
Height 1,84 m
Weight 87 kg
CarlosD is offline   Reply With Quote