Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 15th April 2012, 12:45 PM   #1
Macka Packa

Default iSonic 111 set up

Hi all,

I recently changed my quiver from iS121, XFire102, Sonic90 to 2010 iS 111 and 86. I have a 161 Formula for the light stuff.

I am 80kg, 180cm advanced intermediate. For the iS111 I use 7.8m Reflex and 7.0m Code Red mostly on the Swan River - short chop - 14-20kts. 44cm CaneFire fin (and 38 Talon if ever we get some wind)

I found the 121 very easy to set up, straps all the way back, mast step about 1cm back from middle.

I am struggling a bit with the 111 because we have had fairly marginal conditions recently. Started with back hole for front straps and middle for back straps. Tried multiple spots for mast foot. I feel like the rig is falling backwards a bit.

Keen to hear favourite strap & mast foot positions to help get this sorted.

Thanks! Patrick
Macka Packa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 07:59 PM   #2
Gyurmo
Dream Team Member

hi patrick,

sound is no problem with your footstraps positions on the iSonic 111. if you feel „like the rig is falling backwards a bit” the first solution would be pull your mastfoot more back and try every 0,5 cm until the bottom of the sail will be (more or less) parallel with the deck in reaching and your bad feeling is disappearing.

if after that still did not change your feeling, your fin should be too small and/or too hard, but this problem with your 44cm fin in the iS 111 is impossible.

so the last chance from my side is you over pull the outhaul of your sails and this is why the rig move to much back. the smallest gap between the leeward side of your boom and your sail (in planning) should be between 0-3cm. if the gap is bigger the pulling point of the sail start to move forward and the rig start to move backward – to keep the balance.

let me know the result of your check,
gyurmo
Gyurmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Macka Packa

Thanks gyurmo

I use an adjustable outhaul and like my sail fairly full - usually touching the boom up to the back harness line on a reach.

I'll keep trying mast foot positions, hopefully I'll get a nice powered up, consistent day soon, it makes tuning sooo much easier!
Old 16th April 2012, 02:49 PM   #4
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka Packa View Post
Hi all,

I am struggling a bit with the 111 because we have had fairly marginal conditions recently. Started with back hole for front straps and middle for back straps. Tried multiple spots for mast foot. I feel like the rig is falling backwards a bit.

Keen to hear favourite strap & mast foot positions to help get this sorted.

Thanks! Patrick
I have an Is-111, , weight 72Kg mast foot about 1 cm from middle, straps in the back holes. Only difference seems to be that I mostly use a Talon 40 with 6.6, 7.3, and 8.0. Occasionally a drake 44 (aaaaaargh!) with the 8.0. For me the Is-111 is like your Is-121, works very well from slogging (just yesterday wind died almost completely and I happily cruised back in displacement) to where it is designed for. Maybe your lines are too far forward?
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 03:27 PM   #5
Ken

My '08 111 may have a different strap hole set up. Front, there are three settings, forward, middle and back. I have them set in the middle.

For the back straps, there are two settings for front and back, PLUS two for inside and outside. I have the back screw of the strap set in the outside / front. I have the front strap screw in the inside / front. this allows the opening of the foot strap to be turned a slight bit toward the front of the board and makes it easier to insert my foot, plus I am a bit "duck footed", feet turn outward while standing, so it is more comfortable for my feet.

I keep the mast foot centered or maybe one or two cm back from center. I use a Tomcat 42 for my 8.4, 7.6 and 6.6 Maui TR sails. The fin works well for all three. I weigh 77kg.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 12:47 PM   #6
Macka Packa

Thanks for the feedback guys. Ken, I like the idea of the slightly forward facing rear strap.

My fin was my iS121 fin so probably just a tad big but it feels ok. A couple of good local sailors with the new 107 are raving about the carbon Canefire 42. If I'm good Santa might bring me one... just have to convince my wife that Santa does Christmas in July.
Old 17th April 2012, 11:36 PM   #7
mark h

Hi Macka, not 100% sure, but it does sound to me like you need to move your harness lines back a lot more so you have much more pull through your front hand and less through the back hand. This is pretty important as you like your sails set nice and full

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 11:34 AM   #8
Macka Packa

Yeah, could be right mark. The 7.8 reflex is a great sail but the deep boom recess creates a different set up to the code red which I'm more used to. I have been sailing with the lines fairly forward for that sail - I'll try moving them back a bit.
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:23 AM   #9
Macka Packa

got out a couple of times on the weekend, Friday arvo with a bit more wind - 16ish kts. Starting to feel better. Bought an 8.8m and 490 mast on Saturday and tried in 12-15 kts.

The few brief moments where I've been powered up it feels good, especially coming back through short chop. I guess it just doesn't like to be under-powered. I think the 121 might have been more forgiving in that respect.

Man, sure could use some wind. The 87 iS I bought over two months and I've not had one opportunity to use it. Come on Huey! Thank goodness I have Formula gear!!