Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 19th April 2012, 08:26 PM   #1
James

Default SUP that can plane - In the SB range?

I have a typical 10'4" SUP board from another brand. It has a mast track so you can use it with sail power, but because of the rocker shape it can never get planing.

It sure would be nice, both for waveriding purposes and for flat water freeride purposes, if it could plane.

So far the only board I've heard of that can sup well AND plane well is the Exocet WindSUP, which has a step-tail design.

http://exocet-original.com/wind-sup118.php

But that board has a crummy allgier daggerboard system and at 360 x 79 cm and 220 liters it's a size or two larger than would be ideal for me at 75 kg.

Are there any SUP boards in the starboard line that plane WELL? Why aren't more people making step-tail boards?

Thanks,
James
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Sailboarder

The *board SUPer Wave 8'10 could be what you are looking for. The back is flattish for planing.

Otherwise, the Kona 11.5, now renamed in Exocet, could meet your requirement.
Sailboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 02:42 PM   #3
James

The SUPer 8'10" looks pretty interesting. I like that it has footstraps in the front, at least.

Are there any reviews or videos of it that give some more info on it's planing, paddling, and wave-riding characteristics?

How does it compare to the AHD SeaLion or SeaLion XL, which I would assume are its closest relatives in terms of intended use?

Overall I'm kind of frustrated by the lack of clarity in classification of SUP / Longboard-Waveboard planing and paddling versus windsurfing characteristics. It's hard to sort it all out.
James is offline   Reply With Quote