Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 8th August 2012, 08:19 PM   #1
Hank

Default Severne Enigma Masts

Hi everyone

A couple of my Enigma masts have scratches from the camber rotation in the red plastic coating.

It seems that the camber doesn't rotate properly.
Should I remove the red plastic coating in the area where the camber touches ?

What do you recommend ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0088.jpg (14.5 KB, 28 views)
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 09:34 PM   #2
Maximus

I have those masts as well with no marks like that on them.

Is that damage from the bottom cam?

Either the cam is not seated correctly, or there is too much cam pressure. Both are easily fixed.

In the meantime, I would try glassing over the worn area, then sand it back level.

Isonic 97 2013
JP Speed 50 2014

Severne Reflex 4 7.0,6.2,5.6
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Hank

Hi Maximus

Thanks for your input, and yes the damage is from the bottom cam.

The bottom cam on the 2010 Reflex tend to break due to failure in the plastic part. Once it breaks it creates this on the plastic coating.

Any input from Severne on this issue would be welcome.
Old 9th August 2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Hank,

I guess you have the 2011 Enigma mast serie (top half with bare black carbon; bottom half with red plastic coating) and not the 2010 Enigma mast serie (top and bottom halves with red paint and no soft plastic coating) ?

The problem is coming from the red soft plastic tape coating only. The coating is way too soft to resist normal wear and grind by the camber rotation.

After 1 year of use, I have the same scratches and same damages of the red soft plastic coating on my 2011 Enigma 550 cm mast bottom while rigged in a 2011 Reflex II 11.0 m2 sail or with a 2011 Enigma 460 cm mast bottom while rigged on a Code Red 7.7 m2 sail. The worst scratches are indeed caused by the most bottom camber of the sail. I just tape the damaged area with Duct tape and change it from time to time. It is important that the carbon surface of the mast bottom does not get grinded by camber rotation.

No problem so far with a 2012 Enigma 490 mast while rigged in a 2012 Reflex III 8.6 m2 sail. Unlike the 2011 Enigma mast bottom, 2012 Enigma mast have no soft plastic coating at all. Mast surface finish is hard.

Just for the record, none of my mast breakage did occur because of a camber having grinded and softened the mast at that location. They all occured either at the boomhead clamp/jaws/strap (because of a point load), at the mast bottom extension, mast ferrule or mast spots located anywhere between cambers...

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 06:20 PM   #5
Hank

Hi Jean-Marc

Thanks for your feed back, and yes it's the 2011 Enigma's that have this "feature".

Would you remove the plastic from the damaged area so that the rotation is on an even surface ?
Afterwards of course applying Duct tape to preserve the carbon surface.

Thanks for your help, BR Hank
Old 9th August 2012, 06:32 PM   #6
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi All

On my side to increase the cam rotation and reduce the cams eating the mast I simply use Teflon in spray, you get very smooth rotation. But this since the mast is new.

Hope this help

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 08:45 PM   #7
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Hank,

On 2011 and 2012 Reflex sails, the cam rotation is really smooth as silk. However, camber rotation on 2010 Reflex sail is a bit rougher, so I would try to have a mast surface finish as even and as hard as possible to ease up the rolling of the camber around the mast.

I'm not sure the Duct tape quick and dirty job that I'm doing with my sails is the best solution for your 2010 sail because the Duct tape material is soft and will get grinded away very quickly. Maximu's advice to cut out the damaged plastic area and glassing over to protect carbon from camber wear and chafe looks like the best remedy to me because you will get a hard and even mast surface finish on which the camber rollers might roll over more smoothly than over a soft and rougher mast surface finish. Applying a dab of Teflon over that camber area is a good remedy as well, but make sure to stay away from the boom clamping area...!

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 05:14 AM   #8
Hank

Thanks for all the good advice and input.

I'll follow your instructions on how to fix the plastic coating.
Old 10th August 2012, 08:40 AM   #9
jmunkki

Duct tape will also leave behind sticky goo that will probably gather sand & dirt and make rotation worse.

I have sometimes (years ago) used spray paint on masts to reduce wear on the epoxy & carbon of the mast, especially in the joint between the two parts, but also where the cams touch the mast. Dry teflon spray coating is also good (but expensive and potentially hard to find). Wet teflon spray isn't as good IMHO.
jmunkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2012, 09:48 PM   #10
Federico111

Hi Jean Marc, are the 2012 Enigma masts Red paint free ? just carbon black top and bottom ?
Thanks,
Federico111 is offline   Reply With Quote