Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 23rd April 2007, 09:51 PM   #1
Andy1234

Default "softer, earlier planing rig concept" (see Apollo)

Dear Star-board Team

First of all: compliment for you innovations!

In the description of your new Apollo-Board ("The Door")) I can read:
"The Apollo concept consists of a board with lower rocker, a wider nose and a wider tail combined with a softer, earlier planing rig concept"

Maybe I missed something, but what do you mean with "softer, earlier planing rig concept"? Concrete products available?

Thanks for you feedback.

Andy (who'd like to replace his F175 from 2001)
Andy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2007, 09:00 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: "softer, earlier planing rig concept" (see Apollo)

Hi Andy1234,
I'm pretty sure they are talking about the new Severne Glide rig when they speak of a "softer, earlier planing rig concept".
While Severne Sails are not my preferred brand, I've had a Severne Glide (left over from the Windsurfing Magazine (US) Power Sails tests)
availabe for about 2 months.
I'm not quite sure how Ben Severne was "challenged" to design this particular rig, but I've heard rumors it has something to do with the German Surf Magazine.
But. I have to admit, the results of that challenge are pretty brilliant.
The Glide rig is very light, and very powerful.
I've used the 7.5 m2 Glide on the Apollo and the Serenity and it has really impressed me how a light weight, but very powerful 7.5 m2 rig can get you planing in about the same windspeed as most 8.5 -9.0 m2 rigs.
I'm hoping that Severne decides to make this sail in a couple of larger sizes, and that it starts a trend amoung all the major sail lofts to design sails that are super powerful in light winds but also light, well balanced, and uncomplicated like the Glide 7.5.
It's a very drafty sail, goes on a 100% carbon Severne Redline 460 cm mast, and is quite easy to rig and tune.
The Glide may not have the incredible range of more heavily built, twist off top Free race cambered and camless sails, but it sure works for the intended purpose.
Try one, and for getting planing, in < 10 knots, I don&#39;t think you&#39;ll find another 7.5m2 rig that offers as much low wind drive.
Severne Sails reckons the Glide 7.5 has 20% more light wind power.
I&#39;ve found that number to be pretty accurate in very light wind "on the water" testing.
So, the "softer, earlier planing rig concept" really does seem to work,
and for those sailors who are not blessed with 14 knots and higher windspeeds very often, the 7.5 (or larger) Glide rig could be the fore runner of a whole new class of sails, industry wide (I hope)!
Check them out!
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2007, 02:38 PM   #3
Andy1234

Hi Roger

Thank you for your reply and for sharing your experience with the Severne Glide Sail.

Oh yes, I can remember this article in the German Surf Magazin. I can see some "circular development" there, which is not bad in this case: When I read the article my old Gaastra Racefoil 7.2 (was it 1987?) came into my mind (deep profile and stiff leech). I think the idea of this project was to avoid huge and heavy sails (9m2 and more). Everybody can handle a 7.5m2 sail, so it&#39;s a great idea to get the most out of it. It would be an important contribution to get Windsurfing back to a wider target group.

I&#39;ll keep an eye on this development!

Andy (whose setup for Swiss lakes is often a 9m2 with the old F175)
Andy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2007, 03:48 AM   #4

link to severne site with parts of the German Surf Magazine test:
http://www.severnesails.com/testresults/test26.asp

Other sails tested were:
- Challenger Sails Techno Fluido (on the market now)
- Neil Pryde Helium (not on the market)
- Sailloft (on the market now)

Not tested:
- Andre Lefebcre sails Synthese, optical the most radical design:
http://www.lefebvre-sails.com/
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote