Old 2nd May 2007, 10:59 PM   #1
bensen

Default Getting the Apollo into planing.

Hey Roger.

I own a Apollo, and it is a great board, very fragile..but ok.

I know you have tried it out, have you any tricks regarding getting the board planing in very low conditions?.

I use det 75 cm fin and a NP RS-Slalom 10m2.

I read the test in the Windsurf magasin, and they stated planing in less than 9 mph, using a 9m2 sail.

That I can´t , any tricks regarding low end planing?

Thanx for always good answers.

Bensen
www.bensens.dk
bensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2007, 08:59 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Getting the Apollo into planing.

Hi Bensen,
I'm on a frantic trip to Texas, from Cape Hatteras, so give me a day or 2 to think this over and I can provide a more comprehenisive answer.
The reason for the frantic"ness" of the trip, is the Apollo.
A demo customer hit a submerged tree stump with the fin over the weekend, and damaged both the fin and the fin box.
I had to return to Hatteras to allow Donnie Bowers (Fox Watersports) to work his magic on the fin box.
It's all repaired now and I'm about 1/3 of the way to Abilene this morning.
My first quick answer to how to get the Apollo to plane really early (I'm a bit surprised at the 9 mph figure WS Mag came up with as I think it's a bit too high) is work on heading off deep, ooching the board up a little, getting right back near the back footstraps with the weight of your back foot (ensure the weight is right on center fore and aft so the board is perfecxtly flat rail to rail) and don't over sheet.
Just sheet and rake the rig at a rate that keeps the Apollo accelerating.
When you feel the board start to "take off" then give a couple of pumps.
Maybe it's me, but I have not found that alot of pumping works real well unless you "ooch" the board up to the threshold where it wants to plane, by very carefully keeping it flat rail to rail and manage the fore and aft trim (by shifting your weight) as the board accelerates.
I'll try to sail the Apollo some more this weekend and give you more specifics.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 12:21 AM   #3
bensen

Well, it is at start, I had pumped a lot, but so far no succes.
Looking forward to your next post.

Sorry to hear about your board.

Here i Denmark, I already have named it the Door, even before the test.
Funny.

Regards
Bensen.
Old 15th May 2007, 02:46 AM   #4
bensen

Hi

Now I´we done all what you suggested, at least I think.
But. Still no succes.

Last time, compared to a *161 and a Maui TR3, 70 Debo fin.
I was using a N.P RSS 10 and the 75 cm fin.

The surfer with the '161 was planing, I was not.

At the moment I have the mastbaseplate 1½ cm from front in the masttrack. Any advise on that point?.

By the way. In you last post you used the frase " ooching".
Sorry, but I´m not sure of the meaning, would you please translate the meaning of the word. ( in Denmark we are not always familar with all the english slang)

I would descripe myself as an experienced surfer, familiar with the use of footstraps, harness and able to do pumping into planing.
Old 15th May 2007, 05:18 AM   #5
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Bensen,
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.
I've been very busy, doing demos and Learn to Windsurf events on the weekends and traveling between events in between.
I had hoped to get some time on the Apollo so I could tell you exactly what I have found to work, but so far, no time on the water for Roger.
By "ooching" (a dinghy sailors term I think) what I mean is that you need to pay close attention to several things.
First, you must get the board really flat, rail ro rail. This is a bit difficult on the Apollo due to the extreme tail width. But please believe me, it is one of the keys to getting the Apollo to plane very early.
Next is fore and aft trim (pitch angle of Attack or "AOA).
The Apollo (in underpowered "marginal" conditions) is not a board you can simply jump back and launch with a big pump.
You need to "ooch" it by doing the following:
Head off the wind below a beam reach,
Get the board really flat (rail to rail or "roll axis" trim here).
Carefully and progressively shift your weight back as the board accelerates.
You will see and feel the nose start to come up and the board begin to "slide" up and over it's bow wave.
Be careful not to oversheet! In very light winds, it's very hard to tell when your rig is giving you maximum forward drive, so err on the side of sheeting in more slowly and allowing the drive to build up.
It will be slowly, but constantly accelerating (gaining more speed).
When you feel it about to pop onto a plane, give the sail some vigourous "flutter pumps".
The board should continue to accelerate and gain enough speed to get up onto a plane. Once you get to this point, continue to flutter pump a little and try a couple of foot pumps on the fin to really loosen the board up.
It will then plane off nicely.
As far as you mast foot, I feel that 1.5 cm from the front is way too far forward.
That works on the F-161 Formula board, but the rockerline on formula boards is quite different than the Apollo.
I think this accounts for the difference in technique require for the Apollo vs the Formula.
The formula likes to be pumped vigourously (big, full body, all you can exert, force pumping to "porpoise" the board up on top of the water.
You (or someone else may get this to work on the Apollo, but I've tried and it does not work for me).
Also, you are using a full race sail. Do you have it rigged with an adjustable outhaul?
Do you have it "bagged out" for maximum draft when you are trying to get the Apollo going?
Max. draft in your race sails, or better still a Free race sail like the NP V8, Sailworks Retro, Severne Overdrive that has significantly more static draft will be the ticket if you have such a sail.
My best results have been with a Sailworks NXfw 9.1 Race sail rigged as tight in the lop (less downhaul) and minimum outhaul giving the rig the max. draft I can get.
Mast foot was a little behind the center of the mast slot.
Try moving you mast foot a little foward and behind the center of the
mast slot.
In there somewhere will be the "sweet spot" for you, your particular rigs, and your techniques.
So, to summarize, don't waste your energy trying to pump the Apollo onto a plane from dead in the water.
Head off and "ooch" the board gradually while paying attention to keeping it flat rail to rail and allowing the nose to come up slowly and progressively.
You will be able to feel when the board is about ready to plane.
I'm working on using stiffer topped masts on the 9.5 m2 Retro to generate a tighter top leech and more draft in the top of the sail (less twist) to get the Apollo going even earlier.
So, the Critical factors are:
Get the board flat, rail to rail!
Allow the board to accelerate off the wind until it feels like it wants to
plane.
Pump a little and maybe foot pump as well to break the board loose, but don't do things that change the pitch or roll trim.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2007, 08:50 PM   #6
bensen

Hi Roger.

I´ll try it out.

Thankz.

I´ll keep you posted when I find my sweet spot.

Regards
Bensen