Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 11th May 2007, 07:07 AM   #1

Default Recommendation on Carve 162 or 144

Roger,
I am currently riding a Go 180.
Last week I tried a Carve 162 and it was faster, much smoother and easier to plane. I am about to purchase a Carve but am not sure which would be a better fit for me, the 162 or the 144 (which I have not ridden).
I am 56, been sailing about 7 years, weigh 225, in the harness all the time, not in the straps yet and not waterstarting yet (but close). My sails are a 5.5, 7.0 and a 9.0.

During that same week I tried a Hifly Madd 136 but it was nearly impossible to uphaul in heavy chop because of the lack of float.

Can you make a recommendation on the Carve 162 or the 144?
(I plan to keep the Go 180.)
Thanks
Chuck
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2007, 09:31 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Recommendation on Carve 162 or 144

Hi Chuck,
Interesting that you would find the Carve 162 faster, smoother and easier to plane on, when compared with your GO 180 (What year GO 180 do you have....? How wide is it?
Which of your sails (what brand model and size) did you use on the Carve 162?
If you aren't yet in the footstraps, I'm wondering if you have really gotten the max. potential from your GO 180?
The GO 180 (older ones that were 100 cm wide) were probably as fast as the Carve 162, but you have to be hooked in, in the outboard and back footstraps, and have a well powered rig.
If you sail mostly in big chop, I can understand the smoother ride (sort of) on the Carve 162, but I don't understand it planing earlier at all.
If you found the Madd 136 ( 258 cm / 72 cm/ 138 L to be a little small and light on volume, the Carve 144 (252 78.0 cm wide and 144 liters isn't going to give you a whole lot more "float", but the added width may help with uphauling.
If you simply "must" get a new board, I'd suggest the Carve 162 at your current skills level.
With a bit more time on the water, and being in the footstraps, I'd then recommend the Carve 144 as you'll be ready for something smaller and there's alot of overlap between your GO 180 and the Carve 162.
Hope this helps,

Roger is offline   Reply With Quote