Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 18th May 2007, 08:14 PM   #1
crazychemical

Default a new fin

hi, i've recently bought a mistral flow 284 (113 L) and i've been doing my research on it to find out that it can carry sails up to 7.5 m², but off course you'd need a bigger fin. I've been thinking on that one aswel and i came up with the idea to get a 38 cm fin for it, which is 4 cm longer than the standard fin ... but it can't hurt to ask you guys what you think of this. The reason i come to the sb forum is cuz mistral itself doesn't have one and i've learned so muchg already on the SB forum ...
Old 21st May 2007, 09:59 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: a new fin

Hi Crazychemical,
I'd try the stock fin with your 7.5 m2 first, then decide if you need a larger fin.
A 113 liter board, with a 34 cm fin should be pretty sweet with a 7.5 m2 rig.
If you find the Flow doesn't get going quite as early as you would like, then a 4 cm upgrade could help, but what you gain on the bottom end you may easily lose on the top end in either control or speed.
Hope this helps,

P.S. I tried to answer this a couple of days ago, but my answer never made it to the forum.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2007, 03:46 PM   #3
crazychemical

ok, thanks. Made a bit of a mistake though. THe stock is 31 cm, but i have a 34 cm fin from my dad`s NTrance. It`s quite vertical but i think that as a slalom fin it should zork on the flow. Gonne try it this weekend. I can only pray for good conditions though.

Thanks

Crazy
Old 22nd May 2007, 08:25 PM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Crazychemical,
Let us know how it works?
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 03:28 AM   #5
crazychemical

bad luck this weekend, there was too little wind. I got on my go on saturday with my 7.6 to have a laugh with my brother cuz there was barely any wind but once i got to the other end of the lake i found an area where the wind blew at about 14 knots. However, cuz it was at thee other end of the lake, i couldn't go there with my mistral flow as i need planning conditions almost all around to sail it (i weigh 90 kg). So i didn't get to try the 34 slalom fin ... some other weekend i suppose. in any case, i'll try to keep u informed on the matter roger thanks anyways.