Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 28th May 2007, 02:42 AM   #1

Default 6.5 severne gator or sailworks retro

hello, I have a bic techno 2 118L, weigh 75kg and can occationally use the harness and straps (still learning). which sails has more range, faster, manoverable and strongest (I feel I still have some catapults to come unfortunatly ) myother sail is a 7.5 gator but I have only used it a couple of times but like it's feel (I have not used many sails so I can not compare). Also, any suggestions for a 5.5 or 5.0 to round out my quiver? I sail on gusty lakes.

Thank you in advance for your response.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2007, 01:07 PM   #2

Default RE: 6.5 severne gator or sailworks retro

Definately the 6.5 Gator!! I have the 6.5, 7.5 and 5.5. They work so well together - it's so good going from one size to the next and everything just feels in order... boom is in the same position, the feel is really the same.
They are my favorite sails - I had Tushingham before, but they were much less responsive and felt much bigger and heavier. Have fun!
Old 31st May 2007, 10:22 PM   #3

Since you already have a 7.5 Gator, you may want to consider a smaller size Gator or Retro to avoid overlap in you sail range. Today's sails handle a lot of wind range. I have the 7.5 Gator and owned Retros as well. It works well in light winds and I have also sailed it in gust over 20 mph. How about a 6.0 as your next size (either a Gator or Retro is fine for lake sailing)? Also, as you get better look at a 5.0 and/or a smaller board for higher winds to round out your quiver. Good luck.

Andrew Pierce
Old 1st June 2007, 03:49 AM   #4

rdm or standard mast for retro or gator?
Old 1st June 2007, 07:00 PM   #5
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Both the Sailworks Retro and the Severne Gator are designed on Standard Diameter Masts (SDM's).
Using RDM''s in these sails will compromise the performance significantly and the sails will not rig correctly due to the differences in the bend characteristics of RDM's vs SDM's.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2007, 01:11 AM   #6

You can't go wrong with the Gator or Retro. I'd suggest that you can go from the 7.5 down to 6.0 in either size with no problems. Set it up with an adjustable outhaul to depower during gusts.
Old 2nd June 2007, 05:01 PM   #7

thanks everyone, from what I am gathering it does not mater which sail. looks like it will be the cheapest 6.0 sail on a sdm mast. should someone suggest otherwise, I am all ears.

Also, thank you star board for creating this forum. I will look into a star board for my next purchase, for sure! Hopefully, I will progress quickly enough to try out one of those 2008 futura's. Can someone leek a photo?
Old 3rd June 2007, 03:11 AM   #8

should I be looking at a hucker 5.6? for some fun? Will it take much longer to learn?