Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 3rd June 2007, 07:34 PM   #1

Default Please help in choosing a 9.5 sail - cam or no cam?

Hi all,

I am considering getting a bigger sail. My board is Starboard FT 148 and I have 490/55%/IMCS_29 mast which I would like to use with the new sail. My current sail is 7.5 Gaastra Matrix. I would also like the new sail to rig quickly (and with one person), too.

Now, the sail I was thinking about is Sailworks Retro 9.5 (no cam). I've read many great opinions about this sail, but on the other hand (and beacuse this brand is not popular where I live) my local buddies tell me that a no-cam sail will never outperform a cam sail of the same size. Is that true for Retro?

I've never really dealt with cambers, but my concern is they'll make rigging longer and that they make the sail heavier and harder to lift from the water. Is it really the case? Can you recommend a good and popular cam sail which would meet my criteria?

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks,

-marek
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2007, 09:30 PM   #2

Default RE: Please help in choosing a 9.5 sail - cam or no cam?

Whether a cammed sail will outperform a no cam, depends on what you want from it. Personally I think that you should go for a freerace sail (2-3 cams) in that size and for that board. Do not be afraid of the rigging/handling, thay are much "friendlier" than full-on race sails (very wide luff sleeves and 4-5 cams). You've got plenty of choice: North Daytona & Rtype, Pryde V8, Severne Overdrive, etc.

Screamer
Old 3rd June 2007, 09:58 PM   #3
James

Hi Marek,

I don't think you would notice much difference in performance between a Retro and a cammed sail. But you would notice that the Retro is easier to rig and tune, and made of more durable materials. Anyway, you'll be able to switch to your 7.5 well before you are so overpowered on the Retro that cams would make a difference. So I would recommend the Retro or another camless x-ply sail.

If you do get a 2-cam sail, the Ezzy Infinity is nice because it has x-ply construction. I have the 8.5.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 12:07 AM   #4
steveC

Hi Marek,

You might want to consider the Hansen Sails FreeRace line too. I believe that they are the only brand offering a sail where you can go with 0/1/2 or 3 cams, so you can vary the amount of cam support you prefer, or go camless. Also, you can order monofilm or X-ply versions depending on your preference. In addition, you have 3 color variations to choose from (black, red or white). I currently have a black 7.1 on order right now. I can hardly wait to get it.

http://www.hansensails.com/

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 01:20 AM   #5
kimax

Hi! I've got Gaastra GTX 10.5 2005, freerace 2 cams. Yesterday I was first time on the water with it. IT IS EASY TO RIG, REALLY! I have done it alone without any problems. Actiually I've got a feeling that it was easier than my NorthSails Superstart 5.0 2003!

It was not any hard to insert mast through cams, not any hard to do hand-by-hand fitting sail on the mast. Just one thing to remember, once you started to insert a mast into the sail do not put the sail on the ground until boom is attached, because battens with cambers are looking very towards ground and may be damaged under the sail's weight. Therefore before start rigging, collect everything you need near the sail (mast extension, boom, downhaul crank).

Smalladvice, get yourself a downhaul crank, don't put stress on your back and save energy for sailing.
kimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 07:22 PM   #6

Hi Marek,

Your 490 mast limits what sized sail you can use. Most brands will not rig larger than 8.5 on this size mast. A 9.0 Retro or V8 would fit on your 490 mast as long as the mast is compatible with the sail.

My thoughts on cams versus no cams free race sails. No cams are easier to rig. Cams are easier to water start because of the locked in shape. No cams are just as fast as cams as long as they stay in shape. Cams stay in shape better in stronger wind, this is most significant if you are well above average weight. No cams are easier in transitions.

Stephen
Old 4th June 2007, 07:48 PM   #7
MA_Pete

If you want to stick with the 490 mast, a 9.5 Retro rigs on a 490.

I have the 9.5 Retro, I use it with both my Formula Experience 160 and my HiFly Madd 162, great sail, very tunable. Easy to rig. I had a 9.8 Neil Pryde V8 first, good sail as well, but much more work to rig and tune, and it rigged on a 520.

Would a 2-cam 9.5+ provide a more locked in draft and more stability? Maybe a bit, but probably not too much. But it would probably also throw you up into a 520 mast.

Good luck with your decision...

MA_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 10:16 PM   #8

One of the responses proclaimed the 2005 Gastra GTX as easy to rig. I concur, but would also like to recommend the further evolution of that sail by Barry Spanier and the Team.

The Maui Sails MS2 8.5(3 cams) would rig on your 490 mast and provide some serious power out of the hole as well as stability at higher speeds. Compared to your Matrix(also a Spanier sail), you will think this sail is the cat's meow.

The only question you need to ask about any/all of the sails mentioned previously, as well as the MS2, is the compatablility of your mast bend characteristics to the specs for the sail. Sometimes the sail/mast match can mean a huge difference in feel and performance.

M2-cents worth.

DaveQ
Old 5th June 2007, 01:26 AM   #9

Anything bigger than 8 metres; especially for a big bloke ; needs cams.
Gaastra GTX is fantastic.Cant see how a no-cam could be any better; even rigging and handling.It never gets backhanded (Or by time it is doing you are on a 2 metre smaller rig (or should be)
Has a massive wind range and really is as easy as a no-cam to rig. (Its actually easier than my NP Sabers and Searches (with their tiny luff tubes)
Forget the no-cams except under 6.5 !B)
Old 5th June 2007, 01:47 AM   #10

As well as the sails mentioned above, the Tushingham Lightning 9.4 rigs on a 490 and cannot be faulted in it's tuning range. It is also very easy to rig. I can rig one as fast as a no cam sail.