Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 4th June 2007, 09:29 PM   #1

Default iSonic 155 Vs Formula

Hello all. I am planning on upgrading my formula board. After already deciding on either a Starboard or a F2, I read the review of the iSonic 155 and that got me thinking… At 95plus cm wide and with the review’s proclamations of speed, it becomes a tempting alternative to a formula board.

Has anyone sailed the iSonic 155 before?

How does it stack up against a Formula board in terms of:

1) Early planning
2) Speed
3) Upwind / Downwind pointing capabilities
4) Technicality of usage

Thanks in advance for any advice and feedback!
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 05:09 AM   #2
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme
Default RE: iSonic 155 Vs Formula

I have sailed it, but can't compare to true formula boards... sorry. I liked the iS155 though. For me, 65kg, I found it a great ride. I liked the evolution I think it is... my F-Type 148 is its ancestor. I could tell them made some improvements. For someone as light as me, the board is very close to a formula board, but I wouldn't expect it to head up/down wind as a formula board does... but beam reaching should be a blast on it. I'm not trying to say it can't point... it can! Just that it isn't supposed to point to the extreme like an F161.

I used it with a 9.8 v8.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 08:37 AM   #3

Hello! Thanks for reply! I weigh about 71kg… so more or less in the same weight range.

I guess since my original intention was to upgrade my current formula board, one very important consideration for me is the early planing capability of the iSonic 155. With your 9.8 sail, did you feel that the iSonic155 gave up much (if any) in terms of early planing to a formula board?

Also, which fin did you use with the iSonic 155? Stock?
Old 6th June 2007, 06:17 PM   #4

Anyone else got any experience with iSonic 155??

Thanks!
Old 6th June 2007, 06:25 PM   #5

Hi
I had a isonic 155 and no comparison against a true formula board.Sold it and bought a 160.I tried fins diffenet sizes fins from 70cm downwards and made no difference.Does not go upwind anywhere as good as a formula and no quicker downwind either.Also found that it didnt like a sail bigger than 9.0,tried a 9.8 (rs6) and felt very unbalanced and it was very slow to plane,narrower tail etc.If you are looking for formula sailing buy a formula board!.Will say that it was very easy to sail especially with a freerace type sail around 8.5.Good luck...
Old 6th June 2007, 11:04 PM   #6
MA_Pete

Hey there.

I echo the above post. I had the F-Type 158 and 148 (predessors to the big iSonics) and absolutely loved them.

That being said, I just bought a Formula Experience 160 and love it even more. I do not race just sail recreationally. I am using it with 9.5 and 8.5 camless freerace sails (Sailworks Retro) and am really enjoying it. It planes earlier and it is more "locked in" in feel than the F-Type. Points better (and faster upwind, I think) and is easier to float over chop on the rail and fin.

I am thinking of adding a larger 2-cam freerace or even race sail for it. Longer-term, I might go for a lighter weight wood Formula, versus my heavier Tufskin FE (maybe 2008).

I would say go Formula, and maybe an iSonic 122 or 111 to complement that for when the winds pick up.

Good luck!!
MA_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 08:58 PM   #7

Ah ok. Thanks for the advice guys.

Looks like there is no substitute for a actual formula board. Early planing is a huge priority for me, so I guess it'll be a formula.

Now to decide between the 161 and F2 or maybe the Exocet...

Any advice??

Thanks!
Old 8th June 2007, 04:32 PM   #8

161 of course !!!....